Stihl 032 idling issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerD

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an old Stihl 032, electronic ignition, quickstop saw I picked up at auction. It wasn't running very well, found the S/A screen was plugged up so burned that clean, went through the carb (Tillotson) and it still doesn't idle for squat. Is this a known issue on these saws? I will bring the carb to work and run it through the sonic tank to be sure everything is clean as it can be.

I will be pulling the carb again to run through the sonic cleaner at work. I will also check the impulse line. It appears to have a new piston in it. It was sold by a Fire Department, I think they put a new end in it and it still didnt run well (likely due to plugged S/A screen) then they parked it.

+1, should NOT run it again until it’s tested, now since we know the FD put a new piston in it.

The old one was scorched for a reason!
I think they were throwing parts at it. It would not pull any R's when I got it due to completely plugged exhaust screen. I burned that clean and it came to life. It seems to run really well, just has some idle issues that I suspect is some debris still in idle circuit. Once I get that sorted I will invest in a 20" bar, currently has a 16" bar.

It must have fully broken after I was done using it last Sunday. So weird. I was glad to have found that they are still available. Had a bit of a time finding the part number this morning lol.

Really, 30 years is a long time for a plastic/rubber to stay pliable.
Yeah, even 20 years in a barn can take a toll on rubber. Last year I found a low hour 200T where the OEM fuel line shrank enough to make the tank leak. Saw got rarely used, but lived in a shed. 40° in the summer and -10° in the winter won't do them any good.

Used the saw this last weekend, sounds like it will be needing main bearings at some point in the not too distant future. Looks like the PTO side is a real PITA to get. Any US resources for these? 9523-003-4440. Lil Red Barn sells a seal kit, but nothing for the PTO bearing. Saw that someone wrote that 026 bearing may work in a 031. Since 031 & 032 take same bearing, this could work??

Back