Stihl 034, 036 - Impulse & Oil Feed Lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

Rebuilding a 1993 vintage 034S and have been trying to find a couple of hoses...

First, the impulse hose is not labeled by part number in the 2012 MediaCat IPL only as 3.1 x 6.7 x 102mm hose. This looks like an error as standard Stihl fuel hose is 3.1 x 5.7mm. Can anyone shed any light on whether this is indeed a thicker hose or if the standard 3.1 x 5.7mm fuel line will work?

Second, I have the inner spring and brass ferrule for the oil pump output hose so all I really need is the rubber hose. Does anyone know if this is also standard Stihl fuel hose? I know it was on the o26/MS260 but the pump outlet barb looks bigger and I don't have a 260 pump to compare.

Thanks,
Steve

No it is correct. That impulse hose has to be cut to lengh from a meter piece 3,1mm*6,7mm*1m (0000 930 2804). You are right, often used fuel hoses on a lot of models have 3,1mm* 5,7mm.

The oil hose is not availible as seperate item. You have to use the set of oil hose (1124 007 1010)

Hello,

Rebuilding a 1993 vintage 034S and have been trying to find a couple of hoses...

First, the impulse hose is not labeled by part number in the 2012 MediaCat IPL only as 3.1 x 6.7 x 102mm hose. This looks like an error as standard Stihl fuel hose is 3.1 x 5.7mm. Can anyone shed any light on whether this is indeed a thicker hose or if the standard 3.1 x 5.7mm fuel line will work?

Second, I have the inner spring and brass ferrule for the oil pump output hose so all I really need is the rubber hose. Does anyone know if this is also standard Stihl fuel hose? I know it was on the o26/MS260 but the pump outlet barb looks bigger and I don't have a 260 pump to compare.

Thanks,
Steve

Impulse is not fuel hose, it needs to hold up under vacuum, get OEM

Get the OEM oil hose kit from stihl, 1124 007 1010, there is enough hose for two saws or if you screw it up. The hose is stiff as a sailor on shore leave and you need to install the spring or hose will kink and not flow right. You need to heat the hose to get it over oil pump barb, a bic lighter will work but NOT TOO HOT or it will melt/collapse, and to get brass insert inside. You need the brass insert also so it seals when pressed into case, that must be installed BEFORE you push the hose into the case. You can connect pump or put insert in first. Use pliers to push the hose over barb/insert. Make sure you can get oil pump over crankshaft end BEFORE you connect hose ends.

Again too cold hose won't fit, too hot and hose turns to mush

I did a 036 complete rebuildhose in the case.jpg oil hose kit copy.jpg oil hose outlet.jpg oil pump connected.jpg ready for clutch.jpg 2009, pictures got lost with AS crash.

I rebuilt the whole thread with pictures, somehow AS has has lost/deleted those.........I won't do it again......here are some

It is discouraging all those pictures are gone....AGAIN WHY?

Whoops!!! My bad!!!

I put old pictures back into old thread, see pg #2,

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/036-project.96696/page-2

Search here is not friendly for old threads

No it is correct. That impulse hose has to be cut to lengh from a meter piece 3,1mm*6,7mm*1m (0000 930 2804). You are right, often used fuel hoses on a lot of models have 3,1mm* 5,7mm.

Nailed it! Did some more searching and found that the original impulse hose (1119-141-8600) had apparently been superseded to 1129-141-8600. This part number is still available and goes on the 1129 series (MS200, I think). Now my only decision is to buy a meter for $8.00 (which I will probably never use the leftover) or 4" (1129 part number) for $3.00!

I am just wondering why Stihl used thick wall hose for this application. Heat, flexibility?

The oil hose is not available as separate item. You have to use the set of oil hose (1124 007 1010)

Was afraid of that. At least I'll have a spare kit when I get done.

Impulse is not fuel hose, it needs to hold up under vacuum, get OEM

Get the OEM oil hose kit from stihl, 1124 007 1010, there is enough hose for two saws or if you screw it up. The hose is stiff as a sailor on shore leave and you need to install the spring or hose will kink and not flow right. You need to heat the hose to get it over oil pump barb, a bic lighter will work but NOT TOO HOT or it will melt/collapse, and to get brass insert inside. You need the brass insert also so it seals when pressed into case, that must be installed BEFORE you push the hose into the case. You can connect pump or put insert in first. Use pliers to push the hose over barb/insert. Make sure you can get oil pump over crankshaft end BEFORE you connect hose ends.

Again too cold hose won't fit, too hot and hose turns to mush

Thanks, I usually use an adjustable heat gun as it is much more controllable. Now all I need is an extra hand or two :)

Nice photos!

It is discouraging all those pictures are gone....AGAIN WHY?

I think our sysop is more than a little technically... shall we say... challenged!

There is not enough hose for 2 jobs. The left over is smaller. Get it right the first time or you'll be buying another kit.

More than enough for two 034/036, if you don't screw up.

They need to be 74mm. Check vernier.

Here is a kit with line cut, brass insert installed. Spring is below cut line with insert.

Excess is on left. How long is that? A little more than 74mm?

oil hose kit copy.jpg

I stand corrected. You're right!! I was thinking of an 064, my bad. I just did one of those too. Dont listen to me, I'm just old and confused. Didnt take my Alzheimer medicine to get to the neurons having the correct synapse at the precise moment my basal ganglia were active. Wheres Doc at?

I stand corrected. You're right!! I was thinking of an 064, my bad. I just did one of those too. Dont listen to me, I'm just old and confused. Didnt take my Alzheimer medicine to get to the neurons having the correct synapse at the precise moment my basal ganglia were active. Wheres Doc at?

That's O.K., I've had a couple of beverages this weekend too.

How long did you cut the hose for your 064? That calls for 74mm oil line also .Untitled.png

Cant remember. Do so many saws. I just eyeball it. But I do it opposite of the way you do it. Put it on the oil pump first then thread it through to the oil port. I do remember it being a little bit shorter though. They only give you one spring and one brass nipple though. So if you get it right the first time if you want to use the rest of the hose you got to get creative. The last 084 I put the hose on was the toughest one yet because of the way its mounted in the crankcase.

Cant remember. Do so many saws. I just eyeball it. But I do it opposite of the way you do it. Put it on the oil pump first then thread it through to the oil port. I do remember it being a little bit shorter though. They only give you one spring and one brass nipple though. So if you get it right the first time if you want to use the rest of the hose you got to get creative. The last 084 I put the hose on was the toughest one yet because of the way its mounted in the crankcase.

The springs and nipples can be reused. But you need both, the spring so no kinks, and the nipple for a good case seal.

As far as the stiff as a sailor OEM, oil line, think about how hot it gets in there in a few big cuts and friction from the clutch/bar/chain. Tygon is not going to hold up, and you need the spring insert. You did well with OEM.

I've not been in any stihls bigger than 066/056 so the 084 is unexplored territory........ but I'd like one for my mill......

Thanks, I usually use an adjustable heat gun as it is much more controllable. Now all I need is an extra hand or two :)

Nice photos!

I think our sysop is more than a little technically... shall we say... challenged!

Steve, I've found for oil lines you only need to heat the ends, ~ 10mm, a heat gun is too big/large. Maybe you have something I've not used/so controllable ? I used heat guns in a chemistry lab that would almost melt glass.

If you spin the line in your fingers when heating it helps when using a Bic lighter, heat whole circumference, but leave rest of line stiff.

Three or four hands would really help. But I've done it myself. Have everything ready to go before you start.

Steve, I've found for oil lines you only need to heat the ends, ~ 10mm, a heat gun is too big/large. Maybe you have something I've not used/so controllable ? I used heat guns in a chemistry lab that would almost melt glass.
The heat gun that I have is temperature controllable. Yes, a regular heat gun would NOT be advisable for this.

local dealer could not figure out the impulse line! I am running fuel line but it is not trouble free. Probly need to order one off of Ebay and hope for the best
Check post #4 for the correct part numbers for either bulk or 4" cut piece for 1125 or 1129 series saws.

Any Stihl dealer worth a dam has that line at the ready. There was an upgrade as mentioned above, but many shops still have the old stuff. They’ll cut ya the length as needed. It’s not cheap line, so it isn’t cheap.

It’s Stihl’s conventional fuel line. I’ve purchased the 1m lengths before. Handy to have around and takes a while to stiffen up with gas exposure.

It’s Stihl’s conventional fuel line. I’ve purchased the 1m lengths before. Handy to have around and takes a while to stiffen up with gas exposure.

That is what I originally thought. The standard fuel line is 3.1x5.7mm section. The line used for impulse duty has a considerably thicker wall at 3.1x6.7mm. I suspect that is is so that it holds up to vacuum pulses and the high heat of being next to the cylinder. The two line are different and NOT directly interchangeable.

Any Stihl dealer worth a dam has that line at the ready. There was an upgrade as mentioned above, but many shops still have the old stuff. They’ll cut ya the length as needed. It’s not cheap line, so it isn’t cheap.

Well, this may have been true 15-20 years ago. However this special impulse line was only used for a while in equipment that is now considered long obsolete. I checked 3 local good size / long time in business Stihl servicing dealers. None had this impulse line in stock and only one had the part number in their system but had never ordered any.

Back