stihl 034 av oiling problems after clutch drum replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonrev

Reaction score
Good morning folks new member here.
I have a sthil 034 av that I purchased new in 1988 and have never had a problem till now, needed to replace the sprocket and the shop told me to bring the clutch hub as well to make sure we got the right one. Well it was a PITA to get the hub off(had never been removed) cleaned the hub up and took that and the needle bearing to the shop, bought new sprocket, they said the hub and bearing looked fine also purchased a new sthil bar as mine was getting bad.
Returned home and put it back together and it now oils everything except the chain. Pulled it apart and there is oil coming out of the oiler hole where the bar bolts on, it looks like normal flow, I thought maybe the new bar was the problem so re-installed the old bar and it does the same thing it just makes a oily mess without putting any oil on the chain.
Now when I reinstalled the clutch hub I did not realize that you had to line the little slot up with the spring but have since done that and it makes no difference in the way it oils .. what did I mes up? and is this common if you re-install the hub wrong?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as the shop I had look at it says the pump could be bad and I'm not real sure I trust these guys

If it's oiling, the pump is fine. I had this problem and it turned out the bar wasn't sealing properly against the oiling port on the case.

Have you checked the supply hose from the pump to the oiling port? I wonder if that got damaged removing the hub somehow...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-20 104144.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-20 104144.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 11
No sir, I have not although when I remove the hub there is no oil inside of the clutch area which I assume with a cut or damaged hose there would be, my sons 064 pro saw did this exact same thing after a complete rebuild and still haven't figured it out either, is that screen shot for a 034avs?

That would be correct on oil in the clutch area. The only thing I can think of is the mating face of the case got damaged while removing the hub, or something went wonky on the clutch cover. Either way, you seem to have a bad sealing surface either between the case and bar, or bar and clutch cover.

This is the site I referenced the screenshot from. https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/034/

Back