Stihl 034 AV Super oil leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
**Update** Problem solved and fixed. Many thanks to those who gave ideas and suggestions for solving the problem, especially regarding checking the bar for being out of true. A new bar and plate solved the problem, and it's now oiling the way it should, with only the normal amount of residual oil coming out after use. Luckily, the only parts that I bought that I didn't need, were the oil pump and hoses, but after all these years it probably didn't hurt to replace the hoses. I've still got the original Stihl OEM oil pump that I can clean and reuse if needed. Again, thanks everyone!

Question: Does your saw have a Vent-Valve in it? I have a 031AV (dump find) that did the same thing (oil leaked after storage). After disassembly and reassembly a few times with not luck…and even swapped out Oil Pump assembly…still leaked.

Someone in here mentioned it could be the Oil vent valve (I think they called it a “duck-bill” type or something).

Anyway, I bought a NOS off eBay and was able to remove the old one and reinstall the new one without too much disassembly (it requires that you remove the Air Box assembly….but I was able to remove it with a screwdriver and tap it back in with a long extension).

Anyway, that fixed the problem. Doesn’t leak anymore & Oils Chain perfectly.

Later, After I had already replaced it with a new one…I cleaned it all out (blew air through it etc) and it seems to be working now (acts like a check valve…air flows through one way…not the other). Guess I have a spare vent valve now haha!

Good luck!

Back