Stihl 034 AV SUPER Vs. Stihl MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PennState

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello, looking for some advice from some knowlegable professionals. I was at the local small engine shop in my town and I was debating whether to buy a older Stihl 034 AV SUPER or a newer Stihl MS 362. The price difference is about $200, which does not matter. I am looking for a saw I can cut with all fall and winter long 3-4 days a week. Also if there is a better saw out there that I should be pursing please let me know. The timber I will be cutting ranges from 6" to 24" and is primarily Oak.

You would be better off with the 362 as parts for the 34 are difficult to locate. This is just an age thing nothing wrong with the 34. One of my cutting partners has a 34s, and this is the issue we are running into. I run into the same thing on my Dolmar 116SI it is around 25 years old. Additional note the newer saws take into account the Ethanol in the gas, still a problem as it causes the saws to run hotter so your dealer needs to set the high speed just a tad richer to keep from burning up the piston /cylinder than the setting from the mfg. The mfg setting is to make Kalifornification emissions compliance.

Lots of inaccuracies in this-

You would be better off with the 362 as parts for the 34 are difficult to locate. This is just an age thing nothing wrong with the 34..

I have/have had several 034/034S/036...parts are still readily available. I have never had any parts come back as NLA.

One of my cutting partners has a 34s, and this is the issue we are running into. I run into the same thing on my Dolmar 116SI it is around 25 years old..

The 034S/036/360 was made as recently as the early 2000's.

Additional note the newer saws take into account the Ethanol in the gas, still a problem as it causes the saws to run hotter so your dealer needs to set the high speed just a tad richer to keep from burning up the piston /cylinder than the setting from the mfg. The mfg setting is to make Kalifornification emissions compliance.

The changes for ethanol are more along the lines of changing to ethanol-resistant rubber in the fuel system. 10% ethanol doesn't make a saw run any hotter. The manufacturers do have to tune saws leaner to comply with EPA regulations, and CARB regulations are even more stringent. But with a proper tune and keeping your fuel fresh (I shoot for < 2 months and use an oil with a stabilizer--which most brand-name 2 stroke oils have now), ethanol is nothing to worry about.

To the OP, in addition to the 034/036, I also own a 362. The 362 is smoother (by a little--not that the 03x's are bad), it might have slight advantage in the broadness of the power), but it is not even close in the way it feels in your hands. The 362 is bigger, bulkier, and a pound heavier. If you plan to do nothing but felling with the saw, the 362 will be ok. But if you are going to use it for limbing too, then the 034S really shines above the 362. I'll take a 034S/036 over the 362 any day!!!

Hello, looking for some advice from some knowlegable professionals. I was at the local small engine shop in my town and I was debating whether to buy a older Stihl 034 AV SUPER or a newer Stihl MS 362. The price difference is about $200, which does not matter. I am looking for a saw I can cut with all fall and winter long 3-4 days a week. Also if there is a better saw out there that I should be pursing please let me know. The timber I will be cutting ranges from 6" to 24" and is primarily Oak.

If that older 034S is used and they still want $400.00+ plus for it I would pass unless it is squeaky clean and comprised of many new parts such as a piston, cylinder and lines, gaskets and seals.

It is a great saw but it is an old saw so condition defines it's value. Could work out great for you but might not. I own and use 034S/360s a lot but I do not pay $400.00 for them and I repair or rebuild them myself so as much as I like them the value of the saw is probably different for me than it is for you. I have never bought one that did not need repairs, it might run and cut wood but it still needed repairs.

The only part that I have not been able to purchase from a Stihl dealer is the original type air filters for the 034S.

Cannot help you with advise about a 362. Personally I would rather buy a Echo or Husqvarna than any new sub 70cc Stihl saw these days. Husqvarna owns the 60cc size saws now.

Last edited:
And 50cc as well.

It is a shame but unless it is a 441 or bigger I put Stihl in a third place position behind Husqvarna, and Echo. Leave it to Stihl's new leadership direction to make Echo chainsaws a better value then thier own. Wonder if they screwed up the value of Viking sewing machines as well?

The 362 is bigger, bulkier, and a pound heavier. If you plan to do nothing but felling with the saw, the 362 will be ok.

In all reality if he were ok with a 13 lb saw the 372xp weighs 13.8 and is 5.4 HP lol:laugh:. But thats not what his practical use is. Honestly the 362 isn't a bad saw I've run one in fact purchased one for my cousin this summer. My 346xp is lighter easier to manage and will cut everything the 362 will the only real difference is I can only run a 20 inch bar. I agree with Murph get something user friendly if the 034 is lighter I'd say look into it. Don't limit yourself to those two saws though I'm not pushing Husqvarna because Stihl and other brands have much to offer. If Stihl is all you want to run look into possibly a MS261 there shouldn't be a reason it shouldn't run a 20 inch bar through Oak with any problems.

So other folks have been able to purchase the pre intellicarb Stihl 034S air filters in the last year?

To stay on topic, the 362 is not an evil saw it is just not much of a good value. There are other saws that are better in enough catagories for the same money that the only reason to buy one is the dealership support local to the buyer, or personal pride in a brand name. They are not particularly dependable, not the fastest, not the lightest, not the smoothest, and not the cheapest and fit and finish is poor compared to the Husqvarnas and Echos.

Why no mention of the 361. Better porting than 036 360 less weight than 362.

Errr, bc the OP asked about 034S vs. 362:msp_biggrin:?? I was actually very surprised this thread had stayed on topic for as many posts as it had! I also have a 361. I like it better than the 362, but not as well as the 036. The 036 just feels nice, is lighter, and as strong as a 361.

OP, the 562 is the real answer to the question that hasn't been asked.

Errr, bc the OP asked about 034S vs. 362:msp_biggrin:?? I was actually very surprised this thread had stayed on topic for as many posts as it had! I also have a 361. I like it better than the 362, but not as well as the 036. The 036 just feels nice, is lighter, and as strong as a 361.

OP, the 562 is the real answer to the question that hasn't been asked.

361s are the anvil against which Husqvarna's comparable saws reliability was smashed against, over and over and over. To bad such is not the case for the 362.

Latest posts

Back