Stihl 034 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magreeable

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my son agreed to meet a guy locally who had a non-working Stihl 034 AV for sale for $100.00 My son met with the guy and the saws in actually pretty good shape, but non-running condition. My son pulled the start rope about 3 or 4 times, and son of a gun it started and runs great. My son said the look on the guys face was priceless, but he let My son have it for the $100.00 He sharpened the chain, and took out to the hardwood log pile, and that thing rips...

Heck of a score. It’s a wonderful saw, I’d never part with mine.

It came setup for .325, just like my 026. If and when the bar ever needs replacement, I might swap it all to 3/8” and a rim drive sprocket, but that doesn’t seem too urgent.

Thank you all for the replies. It's possible he wasn't able to pull it hard enough to start it. I have an older husky 372 I can't start when it's cold unless I put it on the ground. After I have it warmed up, it's easier.

We've found a small issue with the filter cover. It doesn't fit exactly right, but it is the right cover. Anyone know a fix for this?

We've found a small issue with the filter cover. It doesn't fit exactly right, but it is the right cover. Anyone know a fix for this?
I have had 034 covers seem to fit ok , but the choke wouldn't fully close unless you loosened it and lift it up a ways or take it off. Would have to do that on cold starts. Just a switch to a better cover the choke would work fine but lifting the old cover on cold starts wasn't a big deal to me. I take the cover off frequently anyway and tap the air filter to clean out the saw dust from it which builds up fairly quick on this and several other models of that generation of Stihl.

The IPL shows several different covers. You might have a mismatch. They had several versions of: tank vents, covers, and compensator and non-compensator carbs.

Maybe someone here more familiar with the changes could help if you post pictures. Or someone might have the service bulletins.

Back