Stihl 034 super air filter and clutch drum question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That carb fits, there are 2 types/styles of air filter available. that carb takes the new style, you can simply swap the carb top(diaphragm cover) for the standard one and run the old style of filter. Keep the old style bearing greased and replace it every 3 chains and it should be ok. oregon has a rim sprocket kit and bearing you can get for about 30 bucks.Stens makes a kit and bearing as well.

Oregon 34162X​

Oregon 37325​

thanks, I will check those out:)

according to jack's small engine zama c3a-s4 has been superseded by Tillotson HE-20A. So I'm still kind of lost
The Tilley looks like a "generic" replacement. You may or may not be able to "shoe horn" it in. The adjustment screws may or may not line up with the grommet on the AF cover. The bigger issue is the metering diaphragm cover. If the carb mechanically fits (Including with the correct air filter attached) you can probably get away with stuffing a piece of OPEN CELL foam in the square hole to keep the sawdust out. If not you will need to replace the metering cover with a non-compensated type which may be difficult to find considering it is a Tilley carb.

thanks, although I'm not sure if that Zama is still available, ? as it's been superseded. ( Unless you know where to find either of those?). thanks again
You can also look for Zama C3A-S19 which was slightly later than the -S4. You can set up a search in Ebay and be notified when one shows up. I saw an -S4 NOS that sold on Ebay for $30 last December.

Be wary of paying too much for a used Zama as you will need to OEM kit it and these have an issue with main nozzle check valve foolishness. The nozzles are still available but take some finesse to change correctly. They should be pulled back through the metering chamber the way they were installed.

So, I got brave and installed the Tillotson HE-20 carb I bought and it runs!. I still don't have an air filter and am a little up in the air about the correct one. I'm thinking I may have a couple options as it came with 2 metering covers. Including a pic of the optional one that was in the box. I may go aftermarket , cus if I have to buy the oem air filter and purchase each half separately it could be close to 50$!( I know that's no big deal to those of you who share a bed with your chainsaws). Any clue as to part numbers for air filter. ? Note I currently have the tall black tank vent, although I think I could take it off if need be and do the redneck fix with duct tape and baling wire? Also, there doesn't seem too be much holding the choke wire to the carb, maybe the air filter helps hold it in place? Here some pics. thanks again for all the good advice and patience with a not so mechanical newbie.IMG_1042.jpegIMG_1043.jpegIMG_1044.jpeg

So, I got brave and installed the Tillotson HE-20 carb I bought and it runs!. I still don't have an air filter and am a little up in the air about the correct one. I'm thinking I may have a couple options as it came with 2 metering covers. Including a pic of the optional one that was in the box. I may go aftermarket , cus if I have to buy the oem air filter and purchase each half separately it could be close to 50$!( I know that's no big deal to those of you who share a bed with your chainsaws). Any clue as to part numbers for air filter. ? Note I currently have the tall black tank vent, although I think I could take it off if need be and do the redneck fix with duct tape and baling wire? Also, there doesn't seem too be much holding the choke wire to the carb, maybe the air filter helps hold it in place? Here some pics. thanks again for all the good advice and patience with a not so mechanical newbie.View attachment 960872
Since you have the other metering cover I would definitely install it.

As for the OEM AF see the attached IPL. You may be able to find NOS on Ebay. Just set up a search with the correct part numbers and wait for one to show up. Remember that you will be preventing wear on parts that are NLA! Most AM filters don't get high marks here but might be ok until you find an OEM one. I avoid used because you can't verify condition and some Ebay sellers post a photo of a good one and then send you one out of their "box" that you can see pinholes through!

Attachments

• 034 IPL 06.93.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
Back