Stihl 034 top end rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Gordon

Arborist Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone I’m new to this site but interested in learning more
I currently own 2 Stihl chainsaws a 034 AV And a MS 241C
I’m interested in replacing the cylinder and piston on the 034 from a 46mm to a 48mm basically making it into a 036
I’m just looking for a reputable company to buy from
I would prefer buying out of the United States but if someone has already done this and has had success with it I’d like your input
Thank you

Hey everyone I’m new to this site but interested in learning more
I currently own 2 Stihl chainsaws a 034 AV And a MS 241C
I’m interested in replacing the cylinder and piston on the 034 from a 46mm to a 48mm basically making it into a 036
I’m just looking for a reputable company to buy from
I would prefer buying out of the United States but if someone has already done this and has had success with it I’d like your input
Thank you
If you’re not going OEM, Meteor piston and cylinder kits are a close second. All China stuff is a no no. Welcome aboard.

Perfect! Thank you both for the information
I will keep the used cylinder head idea in mind
I always do my research before just jumping right into something
From what I’ve read meteor is the best quality for what I’m looking to do
Thanx again

I was working on an 034 that I thought was a 46mm. Turns out it was a 48mm. So, have you pulled the jug and measured the piston yet? Just curious.

Nope not yet, I’m still using the saw right now for firewood, I’m just getting all my ducks in a row per say lol
To my knowledge it’s an all stock 034 and not a 034 Super

Mine was stock and badged 034. Didn't say anything about being a super. Measured the piston and much to my surprise. I'd measure that piston before you order anything.

I’ll defiantly take the time to check into that!
Once I know I’m done with it for the season, I’ll take it apart and find out what I got and go from there

You will have a few other issues with the swap. Possibly the muffler, the spacing of some 034 mufflers will require an exhaust spacer if using a 48mm jug. These are cheaply available on eBay.

If you find an 034S jug you’ll have no top cover fitment issues. If you use an 036 jug, you’ll have to grind down the front air dam under the cover to make it fit.

@Definitive Dave sells meteor pistons and all the rest you’ll need. He’s here or on eBay as Chainsaw Conservation Components (CCC).

Where are you located?

If you take a picture of the top of the cylinder I can tell you which size it is.

If you take a peak down the intake boot and see a little uvula hanging down, it’s certainly a 46mm jug.

I’m located in Ontario Canada, near the Quebec border
I was thinking of just buying a new top cover anyways, I’m pretty sure the meteor cylinders kits have a decompression valve, as the newer 036 saw came with them too

Then shipping wont be aweful for u from the USA.

Source a used oem top end and get a meteor piston. My bet is that any AM jug, even meteor, wont outperform your 46mm oem jug.

I have a good 034S jug I will let go if you want it. A few small lines above the ex port, but nothing terrible. Not here to make a sale, just saying I have it.

Well I’ll keep that in mind for sure!
I’m a licensed auto mechanic so I know and have seen the difference between OEM and aftermarket parts lol
There’s definitely a lot of junk out there so I’m just trying to weed them out
And for sure if something grenades because of cheap parts I’ll be changing a lot more than a piston and a cylinder lol

The 034S jug is the best factory 1125 jug out there. It is a true “popup” jug.

Cutting a popup piston, opening the muffler and advancing the timing will produce a saw that’s right on the heels of a full port job.

I like what you’re thinking!!
But what I might do over the summer, is keep my eyes open for another good runner to have while I work on this saw
Ppl know the value of those old saws, so I’ll just have to be patient, luckily my cousin works at a small engine shop so there’s always trade in coming in

I found and bought a 044 in really good condition
So I’m not going to touch that engine in the 034 until I see it’s loosing power
It actually runs pretty good, so I’m not going to fix what’s not broke!! Lol
But thanks to everyone for their input and opinions

Back