Stihl 036/362 crank bearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My brother is in need of a bigger saw than he has... So I’m going to put together an 036 from my bin of parts. I’ve got several pairs of used 036 oem crank bearings, but after putting them in, they feel a bit rough. I’ve got a really good used pair of oem bearings out of a 362. They feel better than the 036 bearings. They look really similar in OD, ID etc. Can anyone tell me for sure they are the same?? Thank you

My brother is in need of a bigger saw than he has... So I’m going to put together an 036 from my bin of parts. I’ve got several pairs of used 036 oem crank bearings, but after putting them in, they feel a bit rough. I’ve got a really good used pair of oem bearings out of a 362. They feel better than the 036 bearings. They look really similar in OD, ID etc. Can anyone tell me for sure they are the same?? Thank you
Why take a chance on used bearings during a rebuild?

You know Steve not everyone rolls the same as you do. It seems like when people ask for something you try to talk them into doing it your way. It may surprise you to know that most bearings fail in the first few times used or last for thousands of hours. So sometimes a used bearing will outlast a new one! Mike

If they measure the same, they are ok.

024-046 are usually the same PTO, with the 024/6 having a different thinner fly side bearing. The others use a standard 6202 on the fly side. The PTO side needs the extra extended lip to retain the seal. Some are grooved on the outside of the outer lip and some aren’t-the oil pump hase to fit over them. This applies to the pro model saws, I’m not sure on the clammy’s.

Did you clean the used bearings out? If you did and they feel odd, try a drop of 2 stroke oil on them. The speed rating of the bearings means that they are looser fitting and seem to rattle a lot dry. You’d be surprised what a drop of oil would do.

With all the above being said, I kinda agree with Steve. A new OEM PTO bearing for the 036 is under $20 and a good quality 6202 is generally around $5-6. Doing bearing on a saw is a lot of labor and a new bearing set is cheap insurance. I’ve yet to have a new OEM set fail.

Latest posts

Back