Stihl 036 - How Long do Dealers Keep Old Parts in Stock?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so when I lived in Italy, I went to the local dealer and cleaned out his stock of 1106 parts, along with some bits for my 07 and 08. He had a really small shop, so I didn't get a truckload of stuff, but it was still a decent haul.

Anyway, when I got back to the states, I stopped by the local store to ask about 084 parts and the guy looked at me like I had a pecker growing out of my forehead. Since then I've been buying just about everything online.

Unfortunately, I'm having zero luck finding a genuine Stihl 036 tank for my 036 Pro - part number 1125 350 0818. Lots of Chinese stuff on eBay and such, but no NOS bits. I'd rather not put aftermarket parts on the saw, but I will if that's my only choice.

So, am I spinning my wheels trying the dealer? Also, is there some general rule about how long dealers have to keep parts in stock, how long manufacturers have to have parts on hand, etc? Any tips on how to do this besides visiting or calling all the shops in the local area?

Thanks,

Scott

Old shop+ancient old men might = dusty parts around.

If it's a guy under 50, parts are unlikely. Younger sell online just like your buying.... unless it's way way out back where the telephone is a boat or yelling across the street.

So, am I spinning my wheels trying the dealer? Also, is there some general rule about how long dealers have to keep parts in stock, how long manufacturers have to have parts on hand, etc?
No general rule for dealers to keep parts in stock. As I know Stihl itself has parts in their stock for 10 years after the end of production from a model.

Not many places want to tie up money on parts they might not sell till who knows when. My stihl guy has drawers of NOS stuff they got when they bought out another shop. Not a lot of common stuff but sometimes I get lucky. They also have a ton of older saws they scavenge old parts from and let me look through them for stuff. They stihl have the old microfiche film stihl files (for you old guys) stashed in drawers. Not sure when I'll get back there but I could look in their old saws stash.

Not many places want to tie up money on parts they might not sell till who knows when. My stihl guy has drawers of NOS stuff they got when they bought out another shop. Not a lot of common stuff but sometimes I get lucky. They also have a ton of older saws they scavenge old parts from and let me look through them for stuff. They stihl have the old microfiche film stihl files (for you old guys) stashed in drawers. Not sure when I'll get back there but I could look in their old saws stash.
There are still a lot of old school shops still out there, some just got phone service lately. Most of them have been around since the 50`s and if not they have bought out /up other shops inventory over and over. I know of one original shop here that its inventory has changed hands 4 different times, they have stock they don`t even know they have as often the inventory never gets sorted out. A few of the Mennonite shops were keeping inventory on sheets of paper, did not even have ,micro fiche.
As already mentioned, most dealers just keep wear items in stock, body parts not likely.

@pioneerguy600. My shop is Mennonite. They just got a computer last year or so. They had to since Stihl stopped making hardcover repair manuals. I get a kick out of watching my guy try to navigate different screens.
They did resist much of the worlds technological advancements until basically forced to change. Their old paper manuals were sorely worn, I have picked up several from their old shops.

They did resist much of the worlds technological advancements until basically forced to change. Their old paper manuals were sorely worn, I have picked up several from their old shops.
Talking with Ray Benson he told me no one could come up with an 020 AVP repair manual anywhere. My guy had 3 and I picked the nicest one and got copies to Ray. Most of their manuals are in decent shape. I bought some NOS owners manuals from the for $5 a piece.

Having worked for an echo/toro/wheelhorse/snapper dealer that had been around since 1965, having old stock is an absolute waste of space and time. We had 8 aisles, 8ft high roughly 6 shelves per row, each aisle 20ft long.

Most was old parts for echo and toro, wheelhorse...and in 3 years we sold 3 old parts...a shifter, a spindle, and a glass headlight...but hours were spent doing inventory.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Talking with Ray Benson he told me no one could come up with an 020 AVP repair manual anywhere. My guy had 3 and I picked the nicest one and got copies to Ray. Most of their manuals are in decent shape. I bought some NOS owners manuals from the for $5 a piece.
My stuff came from a shop in central Ontario, they were a very busy shop that did a good bit of repair work, the mechanics likely thumbed the pages often. I got some hardcover IEL and later Pioneer dealers original manuals in real nice shape.

Latest posts

Back