Stihl 036 or 036 Pro?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overlooker

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several years ago, I bought a Stihl 036 at a garage sale. My research found that some 036s had adjustable oilers and some did not. Mine did. Years later, when I blew the top end, I replaced the p&c with Meteor parts, the cylinder having the extra hole for a decompression valve which I plugged. After the rebuild, the compression was so high, I could barely start the saw with my less-than-perfect shoulders. LSS, I added the decompression valve and found an appropriate used shroud. So...do I now have an 036 or an 036 Pro? O

I am under the impression that the 036, unlike the 026, non-pro saws got an adjustable oiler.

I think the only difference, beyond the sticker, was the decomp valve on pro models and different air filters.

I am under the impression that the 036, unlike the 026, non-pro saws got an adjustable oiler.

I think the only difference, beyond the sticker, was the decomp valve on pro models and different air filters.

I have two 036 non pro models and both have adjustable oilers and no decompression valves.

I love the 036 but do wish it had a better air filtration system.

Several years ago, I bought a Stihl 036 at a garage sale. My research found that some 036s had adjustable oilers and some did not. Mine did. Years later, when I blew the top end, I replaced the p&c with Meteor parts, the cylinder having the extra hole for a decompression valve which I plugged. After the rebuild, the compression was so high, I could barely start the saw with my less-than-perfect shoulders. LSS, I added the decompression valve and found an appropriate used shroud. So...do I now have an 036 or an 036 Pro? O
Put a elastostart on it. You'll thank me later.

Back