Stihl 036 serial number cross reference to part number?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Before I go into my local Stihl agents and battle with the counter staff, trying to explain a fairly basic want.
Is there anyone here that can cross reference the serial number of an 036 to a part number for the oil pump cover washer that resides on the crank, pre clutch install?

I know there are two sizes of cover washer available- one 58mm the other 43mm- apparently the saw serial number can be compared to an IPL to give the correct part number?

I also know the part will not be in stock at my local agents (or very unlikely to be in stock) and will have to be ordered in- so would like to order the correct one.

Saw serial number = 120341128X
Part number should be 1128 162 1001 for the 58mm or *1128 162 1000 for the 43mm version.

Any help much appreciated.

Before I go into my local Stihl agents and battle with the counter staff, trying to explain a fairly basic want.
Is there anyone here that can cross reference the serial number of an 036 to a part number for the oil pump cover washer that resides on the crank, pre clutch install?

I know there are two sizes of cover washer available- one 58mm the other 43mm- apparently the saw serial number can be compared to an IPL to give the correct part number?

I also know the part will not be in stock at my local agents (or very unlikely to be in stock) and will have to be ordered in- so would like to order the correct one.

Part number should be 1128 162 1001 for the 58mm or *1128 162 1000 for the 43mm version.

The washer got changed when the clutch would have been replaced. The OD of the 1000 was 1 3/4. the newer(1001) was 2 5/8.
By chance, the shoes might have a valid part number on it. The new SHOE is 1128 162 0806. That uses the larger washer.
FYI, the update "kit", clutch and washer is 1125 160 2051. Serial number is no longer in the data base.
There was a tech bulletin. It states the change in the replacement of the service part clutch.
Nothing about a serial number or a production running change.

As usual, Stihl Tech bulletins... clear as mud. Your dealer can call Virgina Beach. They usually answer the phone in a very reasonable time span.

Having similar questions with my 034 Super clutch. @HarleyT Tech Bulletin explains the changeover. The washer needs to match the clutch... Which is good to know as I search for an upgrade for my 034S.

The washer got changed when the clutch would have been replaced. The OD of the 1000 was 1 3/4. the newer(1001) was 2 5/8.
By chance, the shoes might have a valid part number on it. The new SHOE is 1128 162 0806. That uses the larger washer.
FYI, the update "kit", clutch and washer is 1125 160 2051. Serial number is no longer in the data base.
There was a tech bulletin. It states the change in the replacement of the service part clutch.
Nothing about a serial number or a production running change.

As usual, Stihl Tech bulletins... clear as mud. Your dealer can call Virgina Beach. They usually answer the phone in a very reasonable time span.

Excellent, thank you. Must match the clutch was the information not provided to me and something I should have figured out myself!
The saw is a rebuild from a junker and has a clutch that looks rather aftermarket ish- so I might indeed be better off buying new OEM clutch pack including the washer. ;)
However, it might be asking a bit much for my local agents to call Virginia Beach to confirm- when my agents are awake- those folk tend to be sleeping. :innocent:

Then you call. You will be routed to your closest distributor, not a dealer.
Sometimes, you really have to hunt for this old info.
If enough end users call because the dealer is lazy, the dealer may
get a call from Virginia Beach.

Then you call. You will be routed to your closest distributor, not a dealer.
Sometimes, you really have to hunt for this old info.
If enough end users call because the dealer is lazy, the dealer may
get a call from Virginia Beach.
Um yeah, na- it is because I do not reside on your side of the Pacific more that anything else. ;)

Had a sort through some old bits and pieces and found a clutch that I "believe" to be from an 036- no numbers visible on the clutch shoes as such, just STIHL R and 1125 stamped on the clutch centre.
Does not appear to have the machined recesses as per the document provided by @HarleyT (thanks man), so would assume the older pattern that requires a 43mm washer.
The corresponding clutch drum has the part number 1125 160 2900a.

Had a sort through some old bits and pieces and found a clutch that I "believe" to be from an 036- no numbers visible on the clutch shoes as such, just STIHL R and 1125 stamped on the clutch centre.
Does not appear to have the machined recesses as per the document provided by @HarleyT (thanks man), so would assume the older pattern that requires a 43mm washer.
The corresponding clutch drum has the part number 1125 160 2900a.
The 1125 indicates that it is the 034/036/360 family. The first iteration used "wings" on the shoe support pieces to attempt to contain broken clutch spring. If yours has these then you don't need a washer. The next removed the wings from the supports and added the small washer. The final iteration went to beefier springs, 1128 shoes and the larger washer.

But it is reassuring that dealer incompetence in the *** field is worldwide.
Not just here in the US. LOL

It's a small country over here- most your cities have larger populations than our entire country! So not as many saws kicking about, not as many sawyers either.
The Stihl Shops are franchised, only really interested in the last 5 years models, do not hold large parts inventory and generally the counter staff are not mechanics.
I spend a lot of time on their side of the counter pointing out on IPL's exactly what I would like them to order- but I do not mind that, saves confusion and I only have myself to blame if the wrong bits arrive.

The 1125 indicates that it is the 034/036/360 family. The first iteration used "wings" on the shoe support pieces to attempt to contain broken clutch spring. If yours has these then you don't need a washer. The next removed the wings from the supports and added the small washer. The final iteration went to beefier springs, 1128 shoes and the larger washer.

Winged clutch shoe you say? Think I might have one of those somewhere in the parts stash.......

Back