Stihl 038 history

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONLAWSON84

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was doing some cleaning at my pops house and found an old 038 AV "electronic", looks old but in pretty decent shape (aside from top plastic engine cover broke). I cleaned the carb, fogged the cylinder and put some gas in and it fired right up. From the feel of it blipping the throttle, this machine has some power. I was wondering if it is a more rare model? I ask this because it is metal cased and the serial number (6770377) says it is a 1977 made in germany. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.
I just finished putting a 039 kit on my 029, so don't see much use in keeping the 038

When I look at ones online, they are made in brazil and USA. Searching around it seems the 038 were made 1980-1993. I thought it was odd the serial number says made in Germany in 1977, not sure is this was an import or just an early model.

OP said, "I just finished putting a 039 kit on my 029, so don't see much use in keeping the 038."
------------------------------
I do. The 038 is a professional saw. The 039 is a clamshell. I never should have sold my 038, but I did to a good friend who has been using it for nearly ten years.

OP said, "I just finished putting a 039 kit on my 029, so don't see much use in keeping the 038."
------------------------------
I do. The 038 is a professional saw. The 039 is a clamshell. I never should have sold my 038, but I did to a good friend who has been using it for nearly ten years.
I have been running the 029 with a 20" bar for 5 years and love it, I even used that setup and carved a 12" hollow boat from a cherry log for my kids. I think the saw has great balance and power

This is where I got the year information from the serial number

workshoppist.com/decoding-stihl-chainsaw-serial-and-part-numbers/
That site can be a year or two off, even Stihl themselves have a difficult time determining year of manufacture. Often they rely on the saw was sold if it was registered. According to Stihl some of my saws were made more than 3 years after I purchased them, I think they were going by when the saws were sold, not made.

I ended up listing the saw on eBay Monday, seemed like a decent saw with the metal casing and all but don't need a 3rd saw.
What I really need is a top handle saw

Latest posts

Back