Stihl 038 mag 11 coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KASH

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a 038 mag that i have had for 15 years or so it has the two piece ignition.Over the years it has given me off and on ignition problems ie change plug the odd misfire while cutting then weeks of smooth sailing.I realize electronic components usually just work or dont.
My shop is very very humid in summer .I checked for wire damage and reset the coil air gap several times this aways helped but at the end I had to set it at 5thou to get spark.
The coil ohmed good primary and secondary.I took the Stihl module out and with some tricky fitting managed to get a Rifa module from a Partner saw to fit.
I set the coil air gap at 12 thou and the saw fired right up and maybe its my imagination but I swear the rpms went up by a couple of thousand.
I have not tested it in the cut yet but it sure sounds good.
I would like to put in the one piece coil and was hoping one of you Gurus could give me the part number and a list of saws which used that coil in case I run across a parts saw.
Thanks Kash

I have a 038 mag that i have had for 15 years or so it has the two piece ignition.Over the years it has given me off and on ignition problems ie change plug the odd misfire while cutting then weeks of smooth sailing.I realize electronic components usually just work or dont.
My shop is very very humid in summer .I checked for wire damage and reset the coil air gap several times this aways helped but at the end I had to set it at 5thou to get spark.
The coil ohmed good primary and secondary.I took the Stihl module out and with some tricky fitting managed to get a Rifa module from a Partner saw to fit.
I set the coil air gap at 12 thou and the saw fired right up and maybe its my imagination but I swear the rpms went up by a couple of thousand.
I have not tested it in the cut yet but it sure sounds good.
I would like to put in the one piece coil and was hoping one of you Gurus could give me the part number and a list of saws which used that coil in case I run across a parts saw.
Thanks Kash
You have an idea what year the saw is? I have two 038 mags and they both have a single coil.

Hmm. You have any pictures? Is it a mag or mag II? I don’t recall seeing a 038 mag with anything other than a one piece ignition. Maybe some of the earliest 038’s had points but I believe the mag came out with electronic only. Same with the super. I could be wrong of course. Either way I’ll look at the IPL tomorrow morning and get a part number for the coil.

Just a wild guess on my part and I may be wrong but I think the mag11 was the final Stihl 038 so it would not make sense the igntion is two piece.
I can not post pictures but will give part numbers from the coil and trigger module.
Kash

So I found out you can switch to the single coil ignition as long as it bolts up to the saw and you don’t need to change flywheels. Apparently some of the two piece ignition saws used a different bolt pattern, if that’s the case you’ll have to look to the second hand market for a coil and/or igniter. Part number for the (single) coil is 0000 400 1300, retails for $91.49 from Stihl.

Back