Stihl 038 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Y

Reaction score
Hi Everybody.
I should have posted my question of yesterday to the wrong Forum, so I have re-posted it below:

Hello,
I have been fortunate enough to buy a good-looking Stihl 038 Magnum. Sad to say though that some years ago the owner put the dirty saw (chain brake on) in his shed and left it. So, the steel parts have rusted and seized.

I’ve removed the clutch so that only the crankshaft stub remains on one side of the saw. On the other side the flywheel remains for now. I’ve also removed the muffler

After soaking the bore with diesel, I can rotate the crankshaft freely. However, intermittingly something sticks/strikes and stops the rotation. Looking through the exhaust port, it feels like the piston rings catch below that port.(Always in the same position).

I haven’t come across this problem before. Any thought please before I remove the cylinder.
Many thanks

IMG_1910.jpeg

tempImage8NU3UN.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1917.jpeg
    IMG_1917.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1916.jpeg
    IMG_1916.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1906.jpeg
    IMG_1906.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
It's relatively easy to remove the cylinder and after sitting that long it could be anything in there( mud wasp nest , dead mouse parts, a screw) things I've personally found inside saws that sat for many years.
I see the clutch is still on the saw in the pictures?
Best soak the whole thing down with pb blaster , wd40, Deep Creep ,or whatever you prefer.

Back