Stihl 038AV non super, non Magnum - upgrade list?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kindyr

Reaction score
a while back I picked up a Stihl 038AV with no additional markers on the badging, so I belive it is a basic 038. When I pull the muffler I'll double check bore size and confirm. It appears to be metal fuel tank, etc, with the pull rope cover badging indicating made in West Germany which is kind of what drew me to it. I have other saws, so this will be a bit of a project/hobby on it's own to get it up to snuff and used one bigger trees that my 270 can't do. So I've been doing some watching and planning. I have a manual and parts list from Ebay on their way. it looks like there are a few things I should absolutely do to update the saw for regular use. The current list;
Solid state Ignition upgrade
Replace spur sprocket with new style

Any other updates I should have on my to do list? I'm hoping I don't have to do a full rebuild, but I guess I'll know more when I pull the muffler off. Any helpful threads I should read over? I've been haphazardly searching through and trying to sort our what applies and doesn't between the models.

Thanks in Advance

Pulled the muffler off and poked my depth caliper in and it appears to be the 48mm. The muffler was pretty carbon covered, but the piston and cylinder looked pretty good. In tipping it around, it leaked a bit of fuel from around the cap area, so may need to see if there is a gasket or something needing replaced. I've ordered a 1119 007 1003 kit to swap on. Probably will put a new muffler on. Is there a recommended version for this beast?

Probably won't do the magnum upgrade just yet. maybe down the road if I need a bit more a$$ behind the chain.

That magnum upgrade won’t bolt up to that regular 038 AV bottom end unless you do some work to the bolt pattern. The magnum cylinder is different than the regular 48cc and the 50cc super. Both of these will bolt up to the regular bottom end but the magnum will not with some modifications.

dual port muffler, thin cylinder gasket to decrease squish, fresh oem rings (and piston if machine lines are worn smooth), fuel hose and filter, flocked mesh air filter will add some pep in her step with little effort.

a while back I picked up a Stihl 038AV

Any other updates I should have on my to do list?
I am just a hobby saw fixer, and my time costs nothing.

I always measure compression, vac/pressure test the case and carb, pull the rear handle off the saw, and give the whole saw a 100% cleaning.

For mag case saws, I pretty much always pull the jug and clean out the carbon.

Sure would like some pics of your saw.

Roy

what carbs were on the Mag & super - seem to remember the bing was the hot ticket but thought kits were hard to come by?

Back