Stihl 039 running issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyager

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Need some help here. Working on 039 that won’t stay running. Rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel line and filter, spark plug, and impulse line. Fired up and runs good for a minute or two then idles up and dies. Won’t restart but has good spark. Any ideas are most welcome, thank you, Dan

Obvious thing to check first is the tank vent, when it starts to run lean crack the tank cap to let air into the tank and see if it cures the problem. Other things that can cause fuel starvation: Any leak in the impulse from crankcase to carb, control lever that's set to low, clogged screen filter in carb input, fuel pump faulty (gasket on wrong side, cover leaking)
What was the original issue that caused you to rebuild the carb?

Obvious thing to check first is the tank vent, when it starts to run lean crack the tank cap to let air into the tank and see if it cures the problem. Other things that can cause fuel starvation: Any leak in the impulse from crankcase to carb, control lever that's set to low, clogged screen filter in carb input, fuel pump faulty (gasket on wrong side, cover leaking)
Good point, I forgot about a bad tank vent. That's a potential problem also.

It would run for a couple minutes then die. I’ve noticed that the L and H screws don’t seem to change much of anything

It would run for a couple minutes then die. I’ve noticed that the L and H screws don’t seem to change much of anything
When you start a cold engine with the choke on, the fuel chamber of the carb gets filled due to intake vacuum and the closed choke, even if the fuel pump isn't working, then when it starts and the choke is opened, it will continue to run for a few minutes until the fuel chamber is empty and not being refilled by the fuel pump. Fact that it starts with the choke on means that the filter, fuel line and carb inlet valve are probably good and it's just the fuel pump section that isn't working. Check to see if you are actually getting impulse pressures by squirting a drop of oil down the impulse line and see if it moves up and down when the engine is turned over.

AIR AND PRESSURE TEST!.
If you do not have that means to do one, spray some brake cleaner arounf the sealing surfaces and seals. If it affects the running you will get closer to the problem. If it does not, the high speed nozzle may not be sealing. We can guess all day but a full diagnosis will find the issue. And you will keep your hair.

After you get it started, will it transfer off idle and run at full speed under load and then just die after a few minutes of running to idle?
That’s exactly what it’s doing. I can run it wide open. After a couple minutes it bogs and dies. Won’t take any throttle at this point. I considered the coil but I have spark after it dies

If it dies while running at full speed in a cut, it sounds like a serious fuel starvation, either a restriction in the fuel supply to the carb, faulty tank vent not letting air into the tank or a failure of the fuel pump to deliver fuel to the carb or an internal problem with the carb. Not the nozzle check valve, if it sticks open, it will only affect the idle. Have to read all the previous posts relating to fuel starvation and methodically go through all the possible causes. Your original post made it seem that this was just a problem at idle.

Latest posts

Back