Stihl 041 No Spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackEckert

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new to the site and new to chainsaws in general. Quick background, I'm somewhat experienced with small engines and carbs (weed eaters, snowblowers, motorcycles, etc.) but I'm new to chainsaws.

Anyway, I bought a brand new Stihl the other day but don't know much beyond the basics. And the best way I've found out how to learn about new machines is to get an old/possibly broken one and troubleshoot/fix things until you start to understand them inside and out.

So I bought an older 041 AV at online auction and turns out it's in a little worse shape than I thought - good for me.

After a quick once-over: it has good compression, the starter pulls fine, it's super dirty so I'll be sure the go through the carb, the chain is in good shape. Haven't looked into the oiler. But it doesn't have spark.

What I've done so far: double checked the spark plug, ensured the kill switch wire wasn't grounding out, tried to test for spark with kill switch in all positions to ensure it wasn't wired incorrectly.

I'm pretty sure it has a points/condenser ignition system and from what I've read, those tend to go bad on these. I haven't been able to find much info on people setting/cleaning the points on these so if anyone has a good link to instructions there, that would be awesome. Or if anyone has an opinion on switching over to an electronic ignition, I'd love to hear those too. I've attached a photo - I'm pretty sure I need to get that cover off in order to access/clean/adjust the points but I'm not sure how. Any help/advice is appreciated! 041.jpg

they set the distance using your standard business card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also the motor could be turning over the wrong way so try the other way. it won’t hurt it.

they set the distance using your standard business card

That makes sense. But I'm not even sure how to access the points. I've worked on bikes before and there is just a small cover to remove to access. Do I need to take that cover off in my photo? Or need any tools to access the points?

my 041 is slightly different but i think you need some type of puller in order to get it off the shaft

my 041 is slightly different but i think you need some type of puller in order to get it off the shaft

Gotcha - is that necessary to do the job? or should i be able to set it through those holes in the flywheel?

Ok - I can probably take it tomorrow. Quick question - I have a generic puller set up like this but I haven't "pulled" anything yet. Would this be a terrible idea?

Attachments

• 041 2.jpg
    041 2.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 7
Perfect, thank you! That makes sense - that rubber cap is exposed right at TDC. I'll see what I can do with the gap, etc and update after. thanks again for the help so far, everyone.

Quick update, the points were clogged with crap and it also seemed like they were stuck in place and not opening/closing. So I cleaned them and got the lever opening and closing as it should. If this wasn’t the whole problem it was at least part of it.

Attachments

• 68854F7B-7CC3-435E-A509-355558910535.jpeg
    68854F7B-7CC3-435E-A509-355558910535.jpeg
    855.5 KB · Views: 9
That’s a spark! Thank you guys so much! I cleaned the points up.. the gap was actually ok. Maybe a little on the low side. But put it back together and fired it right up! I’ll wait until morning to tweak and fine tune the carb. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 4FBBC99B-E470-46E2-AAC8-CAF707E7A207.jpeg
    4FBBC99B-E470-46E2-AAC8-CAF707E7A207.jpeg
    925.3 KB · Views: 10
Back