Stihl 041 No Spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all - I'm new to the site and new to chainsaws in general. Quick background, I'm somewhat experienced with small engines and carbs (weed eaters, snowblowers, motorcycles, etc.) but I'm new to chainsaws.

Anyway, I bought a brand new Stihl the other day but don't know much beyond the basics. And the best way I've found out how to learn about new machines is to get an old/possibly broken one and troubleshoot/fix things until you start to understand them inside and out.

So I bought an older 041 AV at online auction and turns out it's in a little worse shape than I thought - good for me.

After a quick once-over: it has good compression, the starter pulls fine, it's super dirty so I'll be sure the go through the carb, the chain is in good shape. Haven't looked into the oiler. But it doesn't have spark.

What I've done so far: double checked the spark plug, ensured the kill switch wire wasn't grounding out, tried to test for spark with kill switch in all positions to ensure it wasn't wired incorrectly.

I'm pretty sure it has a points/condenser ignition system and from what I've read, those tend to go bad on these. I haven't been able to find much info on people setting/cleaning the points on these so if anyone has a good link to instructions there, that would be awesome. Or if anyone has an opinion on switching over to an electronic ignition, I'd love to hear those too. I've attached a photo - I'm pretty sure I need to get that cover off in order to access/clean/adjust the points but I'm not sure how. Any help/advice is appreciated! View attachment 849516

to whom it may concern you can replace the SEM ignition module with a 2 pole Nova ll module and it will work ive done it already if you have any question call me 304-671-1955.

Back