Stihl 041

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosocat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
On a whim I picked up a stihl 041 on Facebook. Roughly used. Significant scarring on exhaust side of piston. Has a Tillotson carb. At minimum will need new lines, cylinder and piston, and carb rebuild. I haven't pressure checked it yet. I paid $100. Are these worth getting back into action?

Depends on what you want and what expectations you have. They are good old saws with a lot of torque and vibration. Heavier than a modern saw of similar cc's, too. That being said I have cut a lot of wood an 041 AV when younger and it served me well.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I have two that I really enjoy. They do have a distinctive sound that is great. Tremendous used and aftermarket parts availability. There are three models. The 041 came out about 1967 and I don't believe any had throttle interlock. The AV came out later with throttle interlock and dampers. The Farm Boss came out even later and is similar to the 041 no dampers but has interlock. Result is there are several handles. There are three different parts manuals. Two different ignitions. The points condensers and coils are readily available for those saws. Have fun. My favorite saw to just start and listen.

Back