Stihl 044 bearing slop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bit the bullet and split the case tonight... glad I did... clutch side bearing was shot.... nowt I just hope I can get this thing all back together haha
Well, now you know what killed the piston. Check the big end bearing with a fine tooth comb and if it still looks complete and smooth then replace the crank bearings. There are threads on here on doing these things.

So was the crank bearing metal or plastic cage? Was the cage breaking up or did a ball get loose? A ball caught between the piston skirt and crank would likely have enough force to break the piston on its way out of the engine. Make sure it is not still in the muffler baffles somewhere.

I cant appreciate any up and down play just the side to side. I have it tore apart this far should i just stick with my plan and do the piston and cylinder or bite the bullet and pull the crankshaft out? The more i read, about the 044 saw the more i get pissed that the stihl dealer wanted me to junk it to them... everyone seam to rave about what a nice saw the 044 is...
Completely re-build the jug. You'll learn alot along the way, including side lash of a connecting rod. More importantly, you'll be asked to show up at every firewood cutting bee. 044 Stihls are still highly prized.

Yep an 044 makes a great "big saw" for a hobbyist cutter.
Got mine at a garage sale 6 years ago for $150, felled a 42" elm comparing it back n forth with my 361 and sold the 361, only normal maintenance, cutting 6 to 10 cords a year since. IIRC I looked up the serial # and mine is also the 10mm pin.

Wash everything really well, I like using a hobart parts washer brush and a oil catch pan with diesel in it. Once I get it pretty clean I rinse the crank main bearing with penetrating oil a few times to make sure any trash is flushed out then wrap it in a clean rag. I then wash the case with dish soap in the sink to degrease it then rinse well and blow it dry. Remove any flaking/bubbling paint inside the crank case and lightly sand the case dowel pins. Build a saw you can use 20+ years, Be happy you caught all the problems now. I have halfazzed my share of saw rebuilds and it taught me to just tear it all the way down and build a great saw the first time and never loan it out lol.

After about a week waiting for OEM stihl crank case bearing, Im going to start to reassemble everything tomorrow. Everything has been throughly cleaned. I never did find any more metal pieces from the broken piston.
was the crank bearing metal or plastic cage?
The cage was metal, nothing seamed like it was coming apart but the bearing itself was seized. I'm starting to think I may be in over my head getting everything back together!?! Any one have any good step by step instructions or manuals/ videos?

After about a week waiting for OEM stihl crank case bearing, Im going to start to reassemble everything tomorrow. Everything has been throughly cleaned. I never did find any more metal pieces from the broken piston.

The cage was metal, nothing seamed like it was coming apart but the bearing itself was seized. I'm starting to think I may be in over my head getting everything back together!?! Any one have any good step by step instructions or manuals/ videos?
Search the forum for Stihl 044/046 rebuild threads...

Back