Stihl 044 fuel tank/rear handle replacement parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK. An idiot dropped one of my favorite saws out of a tree. Fuel tank & handle are broken. Incidental note: this already has the tank/handle off a MS460 saw, so we know there are some interchanges possible.

The easy & expensive option is to call the local dealer and pay a fortune for parts that he doesn't keep in stock anyway. Big wait, high expense.

2nd option: scout around for a parts-only saw and transfer good parts over. Does anyone have one?
Also: I found a MS361 that would be a good candidate: does anyone know if the fuel tank, handle & housing are the same?

3rd option
: buy an unbelievably cheap aftermarket set of parts. I'm not so proud about Stihl that I won't bolt up an aftermarket part if it works. Does anyone have any experience with them? Ebay is literally flooded with these fuel tank & handle assemblies.
Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Handl...058723?hash=item5b4aa088e3:g:hn4AAOSwI2xbY~XO

It looks like a great deal, but money invested in crap that doesn't work isn't a good deal.

Feel free to render your opinions & advice!

4th option, machine shop/welder that does magnesium tig or soldering.

I have a 440 I built out of Huztl (farmertec) parts, the aftermarket handle/tank has held up just fine for me, cut my firewood for 2 years so far with it.
I heard some of their earlier tanks had issues with leaking at the seam, but they improved their manufacturing process and the tanks being sold now don't have that issue.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Uh oh. That suggests that I might get screwed up if I happen across a used saw that is made with metal. It seems unlikely that all the parts would interchange.

Anybody know about this issue?
It would be in an updated IPL as an alternative configuration. Its pretty obvious which is which in person.

However, I think the 044 tank and handle are combined. Seems about around that time.

I also have never seen nor heard of an 1128 series with anything other than plastic tank.

I *think* any tank/handle assembly from an 044/046/440/460 will work. It's an easy swap. Cheap insurance would be to replace the impulse line (OEM please; probably $10) and if the A/V mounts are squishy, replace those as well (I've used aftermarket A/V and worked fine for me).

It's a 30 minute job. Only thing you'll need if you don't already have is a T25 Torx bit. And I'd recommend blue loctite on the A/V screws.

Thanks guys.

I think you are probably right about metal vs plastic. We have an 038; it's metal. Our 044 is plastic, as is the 460. I may just try out the cheapo aftermarkets...it turns out that both of them have broken handles/tanks. That is why my mechanic swapped the 460 onto the 044.

:dumb2: The same guy injured both of the saws. :angry:

He's gonna pay.

The 046 tank is wider than the 044 tank. It will fit, but the covers get all strange.

Get an AM 440 tank. Swap on the ignition switch and the line/filter from your busted oem tank. I highly recommend @Definitive Dave flippy cap eliminator caps. The don’t leak, are easy to use, and make the saw look less frankensaw-ish. Also, pull out the tank vent and check it. Some of the am tank vents came with duckbill vents that don’t separate. Can be fixed with an exacto blade.

As mentioned above, the 1128 series never came with metal tanks. Old Stihl saws did, and some transition saws like the 028 and 038 came both ways.

Back