Stihl 044 help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zama's are known for dodgy / leaking main nozzle check valves which will cause exactly the issue that you are seeing. If the valve doesn't close completely it will cause an internal air leak and the saw won't idle.

This is a non-repairable fault unless you can find a replacement nozzle and have the skill and patience to pull the old one out and press a new one in.
Certaqinly worth a try if available.
Sorry guys. My wife has been gone for business for a week, so it’s been single parenting here with 3 kids, 3 horses, and 2 dogs in sub zero temps. Chaos rules and no time for saws.
God help you.

Zama's are known for dodgy / leaking main nozzle check valves which will cause exactly the issue that you are seeing. If the valve doesn't close completely it will cause an internal air leak and the saw won't idle.

This is a non-repairable fault unless you can find a replacement nozzle and have the skill and patience to pull the old one out and press a new one in.
they are pure junk, and dont use sonic cleaner on them
get a walbro carbfound on the latter 044s, and 046s

The Zama seems to have more intricate jetting with some small orifices and hidden passages. And it’s easy for some of those smaller passages to get plugged. To me they’re like the Quadrajet 4 barrel that everyone always replaced with a Holley. But if the Quadrajet was right, it was hard to beat.

I doubt that many knock out the nozzle, it is not included in the rebuild kit and not an easy part to remove or replace.
I have done this a few times in obsolete / high value carbs but it is labor intensive assuming that you can find the correct replacement nozzle.

BTW, the Ultrasonic won't bother the main nozzle.

The Zama seems to have more intricate jetting with some small orifices and hidden passages. And it’s easy for some of those smaller passages to get plugged. To me they’re like the Quadrajet 4 barrel that everyone always replaced with a Holley. But if the Quadrajet was right, it was hard to beat.
Quadrajet! Used to do 1 a week at the GM dealer. Yes, they could be a contender on a stock motor. As for the ZAMA I agree if we are talking about the originals on 044s. But nothing like that in the last ten years or so.

Update: I watched for awhile to check prices but I did end up ordering a new Stihl carb OEM off the fleabay. Finally came in n and had time to put it on today. Saw started right up and idled. Needs to be tuned and I didn’t have time to put it in any wood but it appears that either I fixed the air leak, or the carb was the problem the whole time. Either way much appreciated to all those that commented.

I consider myself an apprentice mechanic at best and don’t have the ‘master’ mechanic nearby to review my work. So I’m thankful for the advice and comments of those that know more than I do.

Special thanks to: @pioneerguy600, @lone wolf, @stihltech, @huskihl

Much appreciated gentlemen.

Latest posts

Back