Stihl 044 help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP how about a video of this in action?
What setting are the H a L turned out to?
What do you mean it wont idle not even when you turn the mechanical idle up?
These saws are so easy to fix when I have them in my hands but trying to fix a problem over the net is like working blindfolded with my right hand ties behind my back. I have to commend mudfly for sticking with this thread and trying to solve his saw`s woes.

More wisdom here than mine. I just reread the entire thread. I didn't see where you replaced impulse line or intake boot. ??? The other thing and I know @huskihl mentioned coils but when we rebuilt my buddy's 044 we just couldn't get it to run how it should. It would start up and run fine for a few cuts and then just go wacky. He ended up buying a new coil (chicom but he's cheap) and the saw has been running great. Good luck mudfly.

If it was mine I'd try to find a spare carburetor and ignition module and try them since it seems you've tried most everything else. You might temporarily remove the tank vent line and see if that helps. I assumed you checked all the rubber parts...
I would put a new OEM carb on it.

These saws are so easy to fix when I have them in my hands but trying to fix a problem over the net is like working blindfolded with my right hand ties behind my back. I have to commend mudfly for sticking with this thread and trying to solve his saw`s woes.
Well, I appreciate the ideas and suggestions and help. Unfortunately I may not get a chance to work on this for a few days. Work/kids/animals/life gets in the way during the week. If I am away for a day or three, just be patient, I'll be back.

Well, I appreciate the ideas and suggestions and help. Unfortunately I may not get a chance to work on this for a few days. Work/kids/animals/life gets in the way during the week. If I am away for a day or three, just be patient, I'll be back.
No problem there, we all have our responsibilities that often take priority over saw repair. Let us know what you find when you have time to work on it again.

The high jet nozzle is not closing in the carburetors. You need a new carburetor. It may be replaceable depending on carb make and model.

The man in post number 27 told you what is wrong
After reading through this thread I am still wondering if the High Jet screw was completely closed (Lightly Seated) if it would idle then??.. This post is mostly for my benefit to understand carbs but might help the OP as well.

I have an 044 that I have been fighting for some time. For the life of me, I can not get it to idle (stay running).

Here is what I have done so far. Cylinder was off and cleaned transfer from scored piston. New OEM piston and rings. New seals on both bearings. Put together, pressure and vac tested the long block. Reassembled.

Got it running, didn’t seem to want to idle. Took carb off, new gaskets, ultrasonic cleaned. Still wouldn’t idle. Spark tests strong with a tester. It’s jumping a 3/16” gap.

Installed a Different carb that was rebuilt by someone else. Same issue. Will start and run will not idle. Needs a lot of choke to pull fuel to get it started on both carbs.

Back apart. New fuel line and fuel filter. Checked for impulse, it blipped the gauge with each piston cycle, but just barely. Put back together. Same deal. I can get it to run but will not idle.

From the start I Have tried low jet all over the place from 1/2 turn out to 1 1/2 turns out (1/8 turn increments). No change in idle. High is set at about 1 to 1.25 turns out. Tried adjusting the idle speed screw no change.

Seems like either I’m not getting a good impulse. Or the fuel line is getting pinched. Or I have a massive leak somewhere. (But it tested good both pressure and vac).

Pic below shows fuel line routing. It doesn’t look right to me, but not sure how else it would go.

View attachment 1050803

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I had that happen to a saw that I rebuilt. It tested good initially, but I think the crank seals cracked after running it for a little bit. I replaced those and the problem went away.

After reading through this thread I am still wondering if the High Jet screw was completely closed (Lightly Seated) if it would idle then??.. This post is mostly for my benefit to understand carbs but might help the OP as well.
You seem to have the high speed jet and the high speed adjustment needle mixed up

The high jet nozzle is not closing in the carburetors. You need a new carburetor. It may be replaceable depending on carb make and model.
A leaking/missing main nozzle check valve will behave exactly this way. It creates an internal air leak so the carb can't pull fuel at idle.

You should check BOTH carbs for this issue. it is easy to do with your mouth and a short piece of hose. These check valves can get blown into oblivion if you use air pressure to blow out the carb.

A leaking/missing main nozzle check valve will behave exactly this way. It creates an internal air leak so the carb can't pull fuel at idle.

You should check BOTH carbs for this issue. it is easy to do with your mouth and a short piece of hose. These check valves can get blown into oblivion if you use air pressure to blow out the carb.
Prob blew air into it like you said. Thing is are they offered for sale to replace.

Please explain how to do this and how it would react if check valve is present vs gone. I have not used air pressure, but I don't have the full history on either carb.

Maybe another dumb question. This is an early 044 with the Zama C3M carb without the air filter compensator. It appears that there is also HD-17A carbs. If I were to get another carb which version is better? And can I just switch the cover or do I need to stick with the earlier carb version?

If the L screw does not effect idling you either have a vacuum leak or a bad carb. i AM BETTING ON A VACUUM LEAK AT THE BACK OF THE CARB.
check to see if all is good behind the carb and that the carb is tight
I may not be the best on these saws but I will do till the best shows up lol

Back