• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 044 Magnum PHO - Read

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For Sale:

Stihl 044 Magnum PHO

$350 plus shipping obo
Serial: 130042740
IMG-2358.jpg

History:

I purchased this saw with the intention of doing a complete rebuild. The further I broke it down, the more I determined it just wasn’t the right saw for this purpose. I also determined I will need to invest In some better tools before I start another project.

It’s been taken apart down to the assembled crankcase. It has not been split. All parts were inspected, cleaned and damaged parts were replaced. The piston was heavily scored, and my diagnosis is that is was probably caused by a large hole found in the intake boot.

Installed is an aftermarket piston and cylinder by Mako (Rings/wrist pin/circlips also). Stens gasket was used. New Stihl wrist pin bearing. I attempted to use the original cylinder prior to this, so you may see it in some of the pictures.

There is a repair behind the left lower muffler bolt. Previous owner had tapped the threads to a larger size (M6), and ended up drilling into the passage where the oil pump line connects the bar pad oiling channel. I have repaired this cavity with JB Weld, and used a shorter M6 bolt for the muffler. A new aftermarket oil pump has been installed and now works very well.

IMG-2305.jpg

I reassembled everything with care and torqued everything to spec.

What else has been repaired or replaced?

-Aftermarket Intake boot

-Aftermarket Muffler to Cylinder gasket

-OEM Stihl oil cap gasket

-OEM Stihl fuel cap

-OEM Stihl fuel tank vent

-OEM Stihl Recoil Handle (used)

What else should I know about this saw?
-Missing a small piece of magnesium around clutch side rear AV mount.

IMG-2314.jpg

-Magnesium ‘rash’ around clutch side front AV mount

IMG-2315.jpg

-Crack at connection of fuel tank/wrap handle.

IMG-2317.jpg

-Crack in recoil housing on underside

IMG-2344.jpg

-Hole in side of recoil housing/cover

IMG-2343.jpg

-Missing chain catcher

I've never seen such a complete detailed description backed up by pics.
Impressive!!!
Reading is fundamental, I appreciate it!
BTW...how did it run with bar in wood & what type of compression is it reading?

Do you happen to know the wrist pin size by chance? Screwed up my crank on my 440 buts it’s a 12mm crank lol.

And echo above, everyone needs to post how you do. Couldn’t ask for better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back