Stihl 044 questions, new piston required.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuilt one 044 10mm with a meteor piston and caber rings. It has given me 0 issues and the piston was fantastic in both casting and finish.
I've done a pretty thorough job of resurrecting oem parts ,but you have to go deep with some builds ,ie splitting the case on a well used saw.

I rebuilt one 044 10mm with a meteor piston and caber rings. It has given me 0 issues and the piston was fantastic in both casting and finish.
I've done a pretty thorough job of resurrecting oem parts ,but you have to go deep with some builds ,ie splitting the case on a well used saw.
+1 just used meteors on an 036 and 046. Very pleased.

I called my local Stihl dealer, maybe I could call another one but I doubt the answer will be different. Stihl has different policies when you compare one part of the world to another, a while ago I asked my dealer about 'USA-specific' parts (exhausts for example) apparently there's no way we can buy them here, at least not officially.

Thanks!
But I found a French webshop a few days ago that still had Meteor pistons, although only a few left in stock according to the website, so I bought 2. They were some €35 each and shipping was quite cheap as France is a neighbouring country :).
I guess I'll sell the 12mm version of the piston (oem), although I could just keep it and see if a 'newer type' 044 or an MS440 with a worn out piston comes along :cool:.
I paid 85 euros for that one btw, from 'Bartsparts', plus some not-too-cheap shipping. Interesting to see how the 2 oem pistons you posted above also have an asking price of 85 dollars.

Thanks!
But I found a French webshop a few days ago that still had Meteor pistons, although only a few left in stock according to the website, so I bought 2. They were some €35 each and shipping was quite cheap as France is a neighbouring country :).
I guess I'll sell the 12mm version of the piston (oem), although I could just keep it and see if a 'newer type' 044 or an MS440 with a worn out piston comes along :cool:.
I paid 85 euros for that one btw, from 'Bartsparts', plus some not-too-cheap shipping. Interesting to see how the 2 oem pistons you posted above also have an asking price of 85 dollars.
Good to hear.

I will be happy to hear of your progress. I am currently working on some really old Stihl 051 and 075 89 cc and 111cc saws.

They were delivered, hopefully I find time to put one in soon, as I have lots of things going on at the moment... We'll see :) .
They came with caber rings, piston pins, and the retaining rings for the pins, but there was also an extra little bag with 2 exhaust gaskets, 2 (metal!?) base gaskets, and 2 needle bearings...
For people from Europe: if you need parts, checking out 'Declic motoculture' from France might be a good idea. (I only base this on this one experience I have with them and have no affiliation or sth like that.)IMG_20230613_151235.jpg

About that metal base gasket - I already ordered an oem gasket before (the 0.5mm version), but would there be specific (dis)advantages to this metal version? I haven't measured them yet (forgot my calipers at a friend's place), might be a bit thinner.

When did cabare rigs start coming with meteor pistons?

If i was to run a saw stock today id choose a pop up piston, i checked and little red barn has 10mm pop up.

Ive ran quite a few meteor pistons never had a problem with any. Theyre boring now so id go hyway or little red barn for pop ups.

Check squish without gasket. Ive rarely run base gaskets on 44s.
My current one is the first ive ran a gasket on.

Whatever you do with it itl be a great runner. The 50mm 44s run great.

Latest posts

Back