Stihl 045 and 056 Ignition Test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertTX

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have recently been working on some Stihl 045 and 056. They had the ignition problem many of you have faced for years. I discovered that I cannot see the spark of one of these electronic ignitions even when it is working. I tried testing them as I have my other saws with a ground wire from plug electrode to cylinder fin. Also used inline tester. I cannot see spark of ignitions that will start and run a saw really well. Am I missing something on these ignitions? Is the only test to put the saw together and crank? I have done this in almost total dark and didn't make any difference.

I have recently been working on some Stihl 045 and 056. They had the ignition problem many of you have faced for years. I discovered that I cannot see the spark of one of these electronic ignitions even when it is working. I tried testing them as I have my other saws with a ground wire from plug electrode to cylinder fin. Also used inline tester. I cannot see spark of ignitions that will start and run a saw really well. Am I missing something on these ignitions? Is the only test to put the saw together and crank? I have done this in almost total dark and didn't make any difference.
You absolutely should be able to see it spark in a dark room, only problem might be, with electronic modules there is a minimum rpm that has to be achieved before they will produce a spark. Are you pulling it over fast enough?

Yep spinning with a drill to test. They start at cranking speed pulling on rope. Come to think of it I may not have been testing with resistor plug. I usually keep a couple of old plugs on the bench just for that purpose.

You absolutely should be able to see it spark in a dark room, only problem might be, with electronic modules there is a minimum rpm that has to be achieved before they will produce a spark. Are you pulling it over fast enough?
I have found that it is easier for me to use a spark tester. I pull the plug, loosely install an air tool quick connect in the spark plug hole, so I can attach the other end of the tester to the saw, and reduces the effort at turning the saw over. I prefer low light, but doing this in the shade works just fine.
I have also knocked the porcelain out of the two sizes of dead plugs, and can also screw these into the spark plug hole. This works great for attaching the tester, as well as eliminating the compression while doing the testing.
I have also found that some coils are weak and not really dead. Just last week, I was able to revive one of my recent purchases, that was sold to me as having a dead coil, buy simply reducing the spark plug gap by .005 thousandths. The saw showed spark, and after re-installing the plug, fired and ran just fine. I ran a full tank through the saw, and it worked just great.
Working on old two cycle engines, requires skill, as well as a little black magic.
Bob

I use an inline tester and a drill, pull the plug and ground it against the cylinder so there's no resistance/compression and it should work fine. I've yet to have an issue doing that and I've tested everything from a 1960 Mac with points, every variant of the 056 ign, to a new 461

Another good spark tester is an automotive type timing light. If you are a geezer like me, you probably have one kicking around that is now totally useless for modern cars but gives a bright flash that can be seen in sunlight, just lock the trigger on and power it from a 12v source, might have to connect the negative of the source to the saw cylinder head.

I use an inline tester and a drill, pull the plug and ground it against the cylinder so there's no resistance/compression and it should work fine. I've yet to have an issue doing that and I've tested everything from a 1960 Mac with points, every variant of the 056 ign, to a new 461
Do you happen to know why the ignition is a problem with the 056? I have an 056 Magnum II, and it is an easy starting, great running saw.

I use a small engine spark tester that looks like a sparkplug that is missing the side electrode. I ground it using a short jumper wire with small alligator clips. Ground to good metal like a cylinder fin. I find that if that has spark and fuel it will run, barring other issues. I use it on 045 and 056 with good results.

Back