Stihl 045 av super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmxz2002

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was given a stihl 045 Super the other day. Was told it's been sitting in the same spot for 30 year's or more.
I'm going to try to resurrect it.

What I have done so far. Removed spark plug and sprayed in some penetrating oil. Removed recoil and gently rotated flywheel by hand. No binding and feeling smooth.
Removed muffler. Piston looks like new. Pushing on the rings with a plastic rod, they are moving freely.
Put recoil back on and checked spark with an inline tester. Good spark.
Install spark plug and a few drops of 40/1 in the carb. Second pull, got it to fire for half a second.
Look in the fuel tank and it's a mess. It looks like the underside of a ship. Barnacle looking sludge on the sides and mucky crap on the bottom.
Pulled the carburetor apart and it looks good. I dropped it in the ultrasonic cleaner for 20 minutes and it looks like new.

I have started to take the saw apart. Handle, gas tank, carb, muffler, clutch, all have been removed.
I am going to order carb kit, crank seals, fuel line, impulse line and intake boot.
I will also buy a pressure/vacuum tester or take it somewhere to have it tested.

I am looking forward to getting this one up and running.

Any advice on cleaning up the fuel tank? If there is corrosion in the metal is the tank junk? I can split it apart if I need, the gasket is available. I am going to pour in a degreaser and a box of bb's and shake it around to see how well that works.

I am also looking for a brake band for it. All of the parts are in the brake and seem to be in good condition. The band itself has been removed.

Any advice or tips and tricks on how to get this saw up and running will be appreciated.

I didn't take any pictures like I had planned. I will take some as I go and post them here.

Latest posts

Back