Stihl 046 / MS 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikesawed

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Still haven't figured out of it's a 046 or a MS460. It was sold in 2000. Can't figure out it's it's a Magnum either. No badging and I haven't tore it down yet.

My question is do you guys think it's worth rebuilding? It has 0 compression, but a piece of one of the rings came out through the exhaust port when checking the poison piston. The piston needs replaced. Judging from how it looks the cylinder probably does to. Depending on how accessible parts are as to if I'm going OEM or not. And if it's collecting collectable. I have heard they are and posted it over in collectables to see if anyone over there has anything to say about it.. If it's not collectable I will probably go with high quality after market parts so I can get it up and running faster. I need something with some power and a rip chain to process wood into lumber with. My MS260 just doesn't have the size or the power. So any suggestions on this one?

Id sell that 260 to fund 046/460 build

Doesnt matter if its a 460 or 46 however id prefer old school screw on caps

Still haven't figured out of it's a 046 or a MS460. It was sold in 2000. Can't figure out it's it's a Magnum either. No badging and I haven't tore it down yet.

My question is do you guys think it's worth rebuilding? It has 0 compression, but a piece of one of the rings came out through the exhaust port when checking the poison piston. The piston needs replaced. Judging from how it looks the cylinder probably does to. Depending on how accessible parts are as to if I'm going OEM or not. And if it's collecting collectable. I have heard they are and posted it over in collectables to see if anyone over there has anything to say about it.. If it's not collectable I will probably go with high quality after market parts so I can get it up and running faster. I need something with some power and a rip chain to process wood into lumber with. My MS260 just doesn't have the size or the power. So any suggestions on this one?
If it has the flip lids on the fuel/oil tank its a 460, and likely 76,5cc - magnum.
Get a Hyway (nikasil) bigbore cylinder kit for it; 82,5cc - same bore as the 660, it's an upgrade. Thats 4,75kw - easy, perfect for an Alaskan mill arrangement.
Very good OEM parts availability; https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/ms460-magnum
Stihl rip chain at .050 will make for a faster cutting and sharpness sustainability than anything else, noticeably so. Use a solid bar (not laminated).

The 46 is and will probly always be the most popular saw in my area PNW. The 462 is probably second while the 500i fad is already fading

The 46 is and will probly always be the most popular saw in my area PNW. The 462 is probably second while the 500i fad is already fading
Why so? The 500 is definitely the most powerful saw by weight ever made. Power to dollars might be discussable.
Pretty good feeling knowing you can allways repair/fix/tune your own chainsaw yourself though.

Back