stihl 046 painting tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramrat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok I have my 2 case sections cleaned and ready to be stripped of paint what is the best way to remove the old paint? I ordered a can of stihl gray to paint it. I have read were I should block of the treaded holes so I habe no problems putting it back together. Should I put the cases back together to paint it ?

My first piece of advice is to not use Stihl paint. It offers no fuel resistance at all. TSC paint is much better. Ford grey is a very close match. Also, I see no reason to strip all of the old finish. Remove anything loose. Knock off the shine and feather the edges. Then, prime with a good primer.

In some related threads I recall discussion about not painting the inside of the combustion area of the case to eliminate the possibilities of paint chipping off and gumming things up. Hopefully someone with more experience in this can chime in.

Philbert

I never ever repaint... To this day I have never seen a repainted saw that looked as good as new. Usually they turn out pretty obvious. Its usually easier just to wait and get a case set off ebay 30-40 usually for the bare crankcases in nice shape.

TSC Paint

My first piece of advice is to not use Stihl paint. It offers no fuel resistance at all. TSC paint is much better. Ford grey is a very close match. Also, I see no reason to strip all of the old finish. Remove anything loose. Knock off the shine and feather the edges. Then, prime with a good primer.

What's TSC paint?
Arrow13

Thanks Guys. I think I will just sand it down and feather the bad spots. I will go to tractor supply and get some paint and primer . I dont care how it looks but since I have it tore down this for I am just going to paint it . I had to get one different case side . Its good but the paint is not. This is my first complete rebuild. Thanks

In some related threads I recall discussion about not painting the inside of the combustion area of the case to eliminate the possibilities of paint chipping off and gumming things up. Hopefully someone with more experience in this can chime in.

Philbert

The idea is to make sure nothing can flake off and damage any of the bearings and such.

I've split cases that have had the factory powdercoating flaking off and lying in the crankcase. Prior to reassembly I sandblasted any remaining coating off the interior walls of the crankcase.

Some cases I've split had perfect finishes on them and I felt fine with leaving them alone.

Some cases I've split had perfect finishes on them and I felt fine with leaving them alone.

Yeah, I think the general idea is that few of us have access to the OEM equipment or finishes, and have to be careful with what we apply. A spray can / kitchen oven baked paint job may not hold up as well inside a fuel or oil tank or crank case. A couple of threads referred to someone 'who had a friend . . .' who was able to apply the OEM finishes with commercial equipment on their saws. But that is an exception.

Philbert

Last edited:
Im starting an 045 Super rebuild from scratch. The saw I bought ran but must have sat so long the crank bearings were junk. Anyway I figured I might as well paint this girl (just the outside). My question is; whats the best way to prep for paint and Brad mentioned priming, but you wouldnt do that over existing paint right?

If u can bead blast the old paint off , clean it real good with dawn and hot water rinse hot water bake too dry , draws oil out of alum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on not using Stihl paint. It dries very quickly and is easily chipped off. I used it once and never again.

Powder is best. A epoxy paint 2 part would be good if you can closly match color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back