Stihl 056 AV Magnum II Electronic Quick Stop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryB417

Reaction score
So the end of the plug broke and of course now it won’t stay connected to the plug. I haven’t torn it apart to see if it is connected directly to the ignition coil or not. I know there is plenty of expertise here. Any assistance with ideas, parts, manuals would be greatly appreciated. I haven’t been able to find a replacement plug wire and don’t know if it’s possibly replace just the plug wire or if I need to be searching for and entire ignition coil. Thank you.

Harry, I think you mean the springs’ barb that gets pierced into the end of the HT lead has torn out leaving you with the rubber boot and spring disconnected from the HT lead. Nothing to do with a broken spark plug which it sounds like you’re referring too yet very unlikely.

If this is the case, and the HT lead is torn (and not the barb of the spring just disconnected), replacing the HT lead is a sensible thing to do, with these older saws the HT lead can be replaced by unscrewing it from the ignition coil and a new one threaded on. Any ignition coil wire can be used if it fits within the coils’ housing.

If the springs barb has just disconnected from the Ht lead, replace it by pressing the barb of the spring into the HT lead, creating a new hole and feed it back into the spark plug boot. Don’t reuse old holes.

If you opt to replace the coil (High Tension) wire the wire screws into/onto a barb in the sem coil. I think I have had better luck doing the lefty loosy (counter clockwise) maneuver Proceed with caution as you don't wish to fracture the phenolic housing but some do get stubborn.

View attachment 956736Yes Sir, you are correct I left “wire” in my post. It is the spring barb.

Remove the top cowling first.

Cut the ht lead back until you see the multicore stranded wire, then remove a small amount of the sheathing to expose the multicore wires. Splay the wires and seat the spring between them. Then pierce the wire with the sharp barb of the spring and gently press the stranded wires against the spring.

Heat the boot up in hot water and hold the spring and ht wire together with pliers. Press them together into the boot until the coil spring shows itself through the top of the boot. Use compressed air to dry the internals.

Back