Stihl 056 Failing SEM Ignition - Convert to Bosch Ignition?

Help Support ArboristSite:

K.Surges

K.Surges

Hello, this is my first post here and I have the common problem with the ignition failing in an old Stihl 056 Super. My dad and I recently tried chain saw milling for the first time and were really relying on the 056 to do the job. When the saw runs, it cuts great, but as it gets hot, the ignition quits sending spark. This 056 has the SEM GE ignition, which we would try replacing, but I have been all over the internet and cannot find the part anywhere. I've been doing a lot of research and noticed that Sägenspezi sells a replacement for the Bosch ignition. My question is, can our 056 with the SEM ignition be converted to the Bosch ignition if we get the correct flywheel? Are there other parts that need to be replaced?

IMG_3361.JPGIMG_3362.JPGIMG_3364.JPGIMG_3410.jpgIMG_3411.jpgIMG_3412.jpg

hotshot

hotshot

ArboristSite Operative
My question is, can our 056 with the SEM ignition be converted to the Bosch ignition if we get the correct flywheel?
Yes, cheaper going that route versus the latest SEM GA & one piece SEM flywheel.

Are there other parts that need to be replaced?

No, other than longer stator mounting screws & a female bullet terminal if you go Saegenspezi, that would be everything.

The flywheel fan from your current SEM GE starter should mount right onto the Bosch CDI flywheel with the same three screws.

hotshot

hotshot

ArboristSite Operative
But first, I’d isolate & check your existing coil’s primary & secondary ohms with an ohmmeter, because new 1110 404 3210 coils occasionally come up for sale on fleabay.

The 041 service manual values are 0.4 to 0.5 primary & 2.7k to 3.3k secondary ohms.

It’s more likely that the trigger module in your 1115 400 0507 ignition assembly is the bad apple though.

K.Surges

K.Surges

But first, I’d isolate & check your existing coil’s primary & secondary ohms with an ohmmeter, because new 1110 404 3210 coils occasionally come up for sale on fleabay.

The 041 service manual values are 0.4 to 0.5 primary & 2.7k to 3.3k secondary ohms.

It’s more likely that the trigger module in your 1115 400 0507 ignition assembly is the bad apple though.

Thanks Hotshot for replying. We'll try checking the coil's primary and secondary ohms.

If we do convert to the Bosch ignition from Seagenspezi, is the 0 204 098 006 the correct flywheel and inner magneto? There is currently a listing on fleabay for this Bosch fan and flywheel pictured below. This is also the same fan on our saw.

flywheel with mag 2.jpgflywheel with mag 3.jpgflywheel with mag.jpg

hotshot

hotshot

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks Hotshot for replying. We'll try checking the coil's primary and secondary ohms.

If we do convert to the Bosch ignition from Seagenspezi, is the 0 204 098 006 the correct flywheel and inner magneto? There is currently a listing on fleabay for this Bosch fan and flywheel pictured below. This is also the same fan on our saw.

View attachment 904640View attachment 904641View attachment 904642
Yes, that’s correct for the Bosch CDI flywheel number.

The updated pawl type fanwheel is Stihl 1115 086 0501.

Attached interesting YT video of a SEM GE stator hack I ran across, too bad I don’t hear German well, but it looks likes he put a Bosch points coil & FW on it, then a Nova type points eliminator chip?

Ben Hur

Ben Hur

ArboristSite Operative
my 056 had same problem but I started with a Bosch it went bad and ended up finding a sem swap. So far so good but I think same problem will happen in the not to distant future. So have a backup ready.

Latest posts