Stihl 056 Failing SEM Ignition - Convert to Bosch Ignition?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on 041 spark
I have the bosch unit I found the ignition switch ground wire was bare for about 2 inches from where it comes out of the bake;ite or expoxy fill on the electronic unit. I thought for sure that was cause of no spark I put heat shrink on but no spark. So I heat shrunk the other spare one and installed it I have good spark. Who knows for how long sure wish I had points.
Lots of other issues with the saw see my other 041clutch thread.
Kash
Saw now runs good

TRT, @TRTermite
I just built this same setup as in the video & it produced fat blue spark with either the NOVA II or the Stihl 1118 400 1001 points eliminator chip. I assume that a Kawasaki or a single wire SIG-01 chip would work fine too, negative on chip to case ground.

I chopped off the SEM GE black epoxied electronics & then mounted an 045 points coil after extending its midget sized grey wire. Used an old points flywheel & the test chassis is a Magnum 056 w/o a cam lobe of course.

View attachment 964363View attachment 964364
I am working on a 045AV with this same ignition. My question is which flywheel/coil did you use? I did this with the coil used in this original set up with the Nova chip. It worked for a couple months but has failed. I never had a good spark, was not very hot.

I am working on a 045AV with this same ignition. My question is which flywheel/coil did you use? I did this with the coil used in this original set up with the Nova chip. It worked for a couple months but has failed. I never had a good spark, was not very hot.

As stated, both were for the 045 points type. FW #1115-400-1200 & coil #1115-400-3200.

Here is the German hack YT video that I followed:

Back