Stihl 056 Failing SEM Ignition - Convert to Bosch Ignition?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.Surges

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here and I have the common problem with the ignition failing in an old Stihl 056 Super. My dad and I recently tried chain saw milling for the first time and were really relying on the 056 to do the job. When the saw runs, it cuts great, but as it gets hot, the ignition quits sending spark. This 056 has the SEM GE ignition, which we would try replacing, but I have been all over the internet and cannot find the part anywhere. I've been doing a lot of research and noticed that Sägenspezi sells a replacement for the Bosch ignition. My question is, can our 056 with the SEM ignition be converted to the Bosch ignition if we get the correct flywheel? Are there other parts that need to be replaced?

IMG_3361.JPGIMG_3362.JPGIMG_3364.JPGIMG_3410.jpgIMG_3411.jpgIMG_3412.jpg

My question is, can our 056 with the SEM ignition be converted to the Bosch ignition if we get the correct flywheel?
Yes, cheaper going that route versus the latest SEM GA & one piece SEM flywheel.

Are there other parts that need to be replaced?

No, other than longer stator mounting screws & a female bullet terminal if you go Saegenspezi, that would be everything.

The flywheel fan from your current SEM GE starter should mount right onto the Bosch CDI flywheel with the same three screws.

But first, I’d isolate & check your existing coil’s primary & secondary ohms with an ohmmeter, because new 1110 404 3210 coils occasionally come up for sale on fleabay.

The 041 service manual values are 0.4 to 0.5 primary & 2.7k to 3.3k secondary ohms.

It’s more likely that the trigger module in your 1115 400 0507 ignition assembly is the bad apple though.

But first, I’d isolate & check your existing coil’s primary & secondary ohms with an ohmmeter, because new 1110 404 3210 coils occasionally come up for sale on fleabay.

The 041 service manual values are 0.4 to 0.5 primary & 2.7k to 3.3k secondary ohms.

It’s more likely that the trigger module in your 1115 400 0507 ignition assembly is the bad apple though.

Thanks Hotshot for replying. We'll try checking the coil's primary and secondary ohms.

If we do convert to the Bosch ignition from Seagenspezi, is the 0 204 098 006 the correct flywheel and inner magneto? There is currently a listing on fleabay for this Bosch fan and flywheel pictured below. This is also the same fan on our saw.

flywheel with mag 2.jpgflywheel with mag 3.jpgflywheel with mag.jpg

Thanks Hotshot for replying. We'll try checking the coil's primary and secondary ohms.

If we do convert to the Bosch ignition from Seagenspezi, is the 0 204 098 006 the correct flywheel and inner magneto? There is currently a listing on fleabay for this Bosch fan and flywheel pictured below. This is also the same fan on our saw.

View attachment 904640View attachment 904641View attachment 904642
Yes, that’s correct for the Bosch CDI flywheel number.

The updated pawl type fanwheel is Stihl 1115 086 0501.

Attached interesting YT video of a SEM GE stator hack I ran across, too bad I don’t hear German well, but it looks likes he put a Bosch points coil & FW on it, then a Nova type points eliminator chip?

my 056 had same problem but I started with a Bosch it went bad and ended up finding a sem swap. So far so good but I think same problem will happen in the not to distant future. So have a backup ready.

Yes, that’s correct for the Bosch CDI flywheel number.

The updated pawl type fanwheel is Stihl 1115 086 0501.

Attached interesting YT video of a SEM GE stator hack I ran across, too bad I don’t hear German well, but it looks likes he put a Bosch points coil & FW on it, then a Nova type points eliminator chip?

I don't hear german to well either but I watched the Picture show once and I intend to see it again and again so the pics will sink into my thick thinking thing on my shoulders Thanks for this info :::: a 056 fan

I don't hear german to well either but I watched the Picture show once and I intend to see it again and again so the pics will sink into my thick thinking thing on my shoulders Thanks for this info :::: a 056 fan

TRT, @TRTermite
I just built this same setup as in the video & it produced fat blue spark with either the NOVA II or the Stihl 1118 400 1001 points eliminator chip. I assume that a Kawasaki or a single wire SIG-01 chip would work fine too, negative on chip to case ground.

I chopped off the SEM GE black epoxied electronics & then mounted an 045 points coil after extending its midget sized grey wire. Used an old points flywheel & the test chassis is a Magnum 056 w/o a cam lobe of course.

23D591E7-E802-4AD6-B7A7-A5637798704C.jpeg9FC114B2-4BBE-4B68-B7E7-77B2309C9076.jpeg

I have a couple of CPM-01 modules heading my way via e way. $12.34 and sales tax. I have a super that started failing so I am going to give it a try. I liked how the German tucked it on the IGN plate under the flywheel. I was impressed with his female spade splice/crimp. Heat build up under the flywheel is something I wonder about but I am not going to run a saw Like I used to and if a chip fails I can grab a different saw for a while.

I used the plastic piston stop that came with the red plastic ring compressor kit when taking the sem flywheel off of a 056 Magnum ll and the crank rolled on over TDC I then did what I normally do and stuffed starter rope in as a piston stop. This is a friends saw and recently bought with no known history behind it. I didn't check the bearings for smoothness before but didn't notice a bearing issue when testing for spark, but it is certainly catchy now. I need to clean it up before I pull the cyl. and check the bearings. I got to thinking about the pto side bearing being No longer available and realized If the flywheel side (Little) bearing is the culprit can only the flywheel case half come off so as to not disturb the PTO side bearing and seal? Procedure advice to do this would be appreciated. Will be a day or 2 before I will get the jug off to see what is going on. Comments anyone?

@TRTermite if you need both bearings I might have a decent used pto side bearing kicking around I'd send you. Do you need the early (non Mag II) PTO side bearing or the late Mag II bearing? I should have one of each, but they are different. The early type had a snap ring on the bearing, the late type had the snap ring in the case, fyi.

@TRTermite if you need both bearings I might have a decent used pto side bearing kicking around I'd send you. Do you need the early (non Mag II) PTO side bearing or the late Mag II bearing? I should have one of each, but they are different. The early type had a snap ring on the bearing, the late type had the snap ring in the case, fyi.
I have the case and cylinder cleaned up and cyl off. I see the snap ring in the case from where the oil pump drive gear goes but I haven' split the case to determine which bearing is bad. I was looking at my parts book and it fails to distinguish the earlier vs. later version of pto side bearing. I have the bearing with snap ring on it but not the later version. I won't get the case split for a day or three. I will need to make or get a splitter of some kind, I will keep you informed. and Thanks until then...

This is a Magnum ll saw 9 digit serial # starts with115 and the PTO bearing has the outer flange stepped down for the snap/retaining ring which is in the case. The PTO bearing was indicative of seizing and left some skid marks on the crank surface but seems to still be a nice fit. A different bearing will be more revealing. Both bearings are bad and the flywheel side has the plastic cracked in 4 places and a segment ready to fall out. I am tempted to get a "DUKES" gasket set with seals vs. old stock that is pricey and scattered vendors shipping nearly doubles the costs. If I am making a mistake let me know.
Reading back on my comments I realize I didn't say I am doing the chip conversion on a 056 Super with Bosch electronic and the Bearing project is for a friend that grabbed a $75.00 Mag ll with a failed SEM GA coil, a fair piston(machining marks are gone but nice and shiny so it will get some cabers). and clean cylinder.
I am going to PM you my stuff as well as a few questions.

Speed Bump is Funner
KASH Anything in particular ? I am at the mercy of finding/getting stuff to work with. Woodslasher has a few Items I can use but not for these projects. I am still looking for a bosch electronic ign. plate and flywheel to convert from SEM to Bosch with a trigger module thingy muh dingy. This thread may get dormant but sometimes "TIME" is a beneficial thing. If your "BUMP" was on another premise I will say "OOPS" and continue watching this thread.

I am checking out my 041 spark issue it is Bosch electronic so I am watching this thread.I would swap a points unit as I love them have a plate points condensor bosch unit from a Husky 163 but no Sthil 041 points flywheel.I will pull flywheel tomorrow I have a spare Bosch Electronic one but I do not know if it is good or the same as the 041 I can not remember if it is from a 08s or an 041 I stripped down 25 years ago.
Kash

I am checking out my 041 spark issue it is Bosch electronic so I am watching this thread.I would swap a points unit as I love them have a plate points condensor bosch unit from a Husky 163 but no Sthil 041 points flywheel.I will pull flywheel tomorrow I have a spare Bosch Electronic one but I do not know if it is good or the same as the 041 I can not remember if it is from a 08s or an 041 I stripped down 25 years ago.
Kash
Wouldn't the 08s be a SEM GA coil? I might have the 041 stuff YOU NEED It has been a few years.

Latest posts

Back