stihl 056 mag carb acting weird

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicecom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i had it running fine last night and idling good no loading up on fuel but this morning i go to use it and it doesnt want to start like its way to lean and then cutting it would get way too rich and soak the filter but it also seemed if the tank got too low it would run super rich??? and fuel would pour out of carb but when filled up it seems good atleast for a bit

i had it running fine last night and idling good no loading up on fuel but this morning i go to use it and it doesnt want to start like its way to lean and then cutting it would get way too rich and soak the filter but it also seemed if the tank got too low it would run super rich??? and fuel would pour out of carb but when filled up it seems good atleast for a bit
Sounds like my carb behavior on a pair of top to bottom 045/056 Super rebuilds that gave me fits half of last year. One of them was all to do with bad crank seal installs. The other I have running okay after getting sidelined with ignition issues for awhile and got the seals installed right but haven't run it for long enough or tuned it right to be sure of it yet. And still spitting a bit of gas seemingly. I rebuilt four carbs in the process of this to make sure I had a good carb. Bought an ultrasonic cleaner to really deep clean them properly. Have the crank bearings/seals been replaced on that saw? Cause sucking air is the one thing aside from carb problems themselves that seems to wreak havoc with how those carbs work, and that changes a fair bit depending on whether the saw is cold or warmed up.

Sounds like my carb behavior on a pair of top to bottom 045/056 Super rebuilds that gave me fits half of last year. One of them was all to do with bad crank seal installs. The other I have running okay after getting sidelined with ignition issues for awhile and got the seals installed right but haven't run it for long enough or tuned it right to be sure of it yet. And still spitting a bit of gas seemingly. I rebuilt four carbs in the process of this to make sure I had a good carb. Bought an ultrasonic cleaner to really deep clean them properly. Have the crank bearings/seals been replaced on that saw? Cause sucking air is the one thing aside from carb problems themselves that seems to wreak havoc with how those carbs work, and that changes a fair bit depending on whether the saw is cold or warmed up.
it seemed to fix itself because it starting getting too lean when it was too rich so i brought metering arm back to stock and boom it runs great and starts less then a pull

it seemed to fix itself because it starting getting too lean when it was too rich so i brought metering arm back to stock and boom it runs great and starts less then a pull
That'll happen too. Sometimes a bit of bad gas or whatever in my 880 and it will be a bit off for a little then fixes itself again. Trying to tune my 056 Super when I got the ignition fixed, it was a little all over the place from from where it started to warmed up and I haven't had the time to dial it in just right. My 045 Super I've had running longer since rebuild though has settled into first or second pull start and running like a champ.

Back