Stihl 056 Super Air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gents, my current air filter material is toast and the intake side of the piston has debris scoring (I only got the saw a few days ago - ‘twas not me!)

I have a dislike for anything China clone so it will have to be an absolute last resort.

Apart from calling around for NOS on Monday, has anyone got alternatives? I have seen a few mods with foam filters, but yet to find something suitable to use locally.

The original plastic cover doesn’t need to be re attached - I’m happy with keeping the carb accessible.

Thanks in advance.

I just finished putting a new piston in an 056 MAGNUM II racesaw and the filter setup I'm running on it is a velocity stack/UNI filter combo (known as a "green weenie" up by me). A neighbor ran this setup on both of his 045's and it worked pretty good. If you can't get that setup I have a few nylon mesh filters for these saws floating around I'd send you. If you can run the alternate setup here's a Link to filter adapter. This stack should fit your saw, carb bolt spacing tends to be universal but I'd check first. Then just go to a dirk bike shop and buy an uni U402 universal filter. The setup I just described is the #1 aftermarket air filter system up in my neck of the woods for non-Maxflow capable saws so it must be pretty decent
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_13f5e.jpg

I just finished putting a new piston in an 056 MAGNUM II racesaw and the filter setup I'm running on it is a velocity stack/UNI filter combo (known as a "green weenie" up by me). A neighbor ran this setup on both of his 045's and it worked pretty good. If you can't get that setup I have a few nylon mesh filters for these saws floating around I'd send you. If you can run the alternate setup here's a Link to filter adapter. This stack should fit your saw, carb bolt spacing tends to be universal but I'd check first. Then just go to a dirk bike shop and buy an uni U402 universal filter. The setup I just described is the #1 aftermarket air filter system up in my neck of the woods for non-Maxflow capable saws so it must be pretty decent
View attachment 856198
You’re a gent thanks mate, something like that would be spot on, I’ll do some searching, thanks!!

No problem, I'm just happy to see another one of these torquey old beasts return to the land of the living. I haven't run the race saw yet but since it's the 91cc top end (the biggest p/c for that chassis) and it was race ported by John Rupley I imagine it'll be a real ripper. As soon as I swap the clutch drum on my 045 in the background so it can run .404 I'll have to take them out for a saw-off.

No problem, I'm just happy to see another one of these torquey old beasts return to the land of the living. I haven't run the race saw yet but since it's the 91cc top end (the biggest p/c for that chassis) and it was race ported by John Rupley I imagine it'll be a real ripper. As soon as I swap the clutch drum on my 045 in the background so it can run .404 I'll have to take them out for a saw-off.
Ha awesome, try grab a video, I’d love to see that!
I just finished the Foggysale ignition fix and it sparks and will run with fuel squirted in the manifold, but it’s all in bits still as I‘m waiting for the new impulse line, fuel line and filter to arrive. Like you, I love rebuilding and owning the old saws (Probably because so far I haven’t done a full days work with one ha) -
5B0EB397-0313-4D80-AFF5-E7BF5297E975.jpeg77CA8B43-3F97-40BD-8F61-4DBD1BC7CA7D.jpegDC0F1F81-F750-404F-B872-0F212C9F74E2.jpegD75DA612-8C68-4022-9366-2AA2C658525C.jpeg

:)

There were a few variation in the 1115 series air filters....Page 26 & 27 of this link should help... https://www.smaf-touseau.com/doc/82
I can’t seem to get anything from that link Scally, I have tried a few times. Good to know the 056, 056 super and 056 magnum have different filters!! Thanks mate.

The ipl showed two flocked and two mesh filters, each with different p/n's and with no crossover number codes for the 056 sub-series (plain, super, mag, mag ii). That would imply that something about them changed fitment wise so stihl needs to make two of each filter rather than updating a part number.

The ipl showed two flocked and two mesh filters, each with different p/n's and with no crossover number codes for the 056 sub-series (plain, super, mag, mag ii). That would imply that something about them changed fitment wise so stihl needs to make two of each filter rather than updating a part number.
It’s so confusing but I figured I need 1115 120 1615. Flocked filter with those screws. I just looked at my old one, it’s got the little ridges in the top of the plastic frame of the air filter. It’s like spot the difference!

I wonder what the difference is. I've put 045/056 Super air filters on an 056 Mag II with no problems and vice versa. I'll have to do some sleuthing later.

It’s the size of the front half filter’s inlet hole.

The Walbro WJ carb used on the magnum II saws have a larger choke plate & set closer to the inlet.

You must have had an old Tillotson 118 carb on your magnum II...

The Walbro WJ carb used on the magnum II saws have a larger choke plate & set closer to the inlet.

Ahh very helpful. Do you happen to have the correct PN for the correct flocked air filter for the Tillotson carby? I have yet to see an AM filter specify if what they are selling is for a mag or super etc. it just says 045 056 056av 056 mag..

Ah, that explains it. A neighbor gave me a n.o.s. Madsens modified carburetor to replace the alky-modded carb that was on it so I would have a choke again and it must have been an older Tillotson carb.

Back