Stihl 064 Carb Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The carb on the 064 that was brought in today is a Walbro WJ6A and that does not even appear on the IPL that I have. It must be a vintage original OEM carb that I cannot even find being sold today. The replacement carb they want you to use is the came one sold for the MS660: Walbro WJ65. This carb has a different end cover on top that is ported to an air filter that accepts it. Can this older 064 (or the WJ6A carb) be modified to accept and run with the new WJ65 carb being offered today to replace the WJ6A?

I thought maybe I could simply replace the WJ65 end cover with the end cover on the WJ6A, but that seems too easy. Please advise and TIA.

Not sure on the above.
Can you get a wj10?
These are the pre epa carb for the 064.
That's sold out also. I'm tempted to try a rebuild kit on the OEM as Mad Professor suggests, but this carb appears to be in bad shape, so that might be a waste of time. One has to wonder if an MS660 carb will run with it. I have a couple of those on hand I could try. That top cover just blows onto an air filter that I might be able to mimic.

That's sold out also. I'm tempted to try a rebuild kit on the OEM as Mad Professor suggests, but this carb appears to be in bad shape, so that might be a waste of time. One has to wonder if an MS660 carb will run with it. I have a couple of those on hand I could try. That top cover just blows onto an air filter that I might be able to mimic.
Many of the top covers for compensator carbs switch out. Not sure all, lots of WT- on 026 do. If you have both in hand check the gaskets and flow insides. Only difference will be a vent vs a compensator port on top cover.

Get a wj 76 it will be awesome carb on 064

On ebay for about 80

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get a wj 76 it will be awesome carb on 064
On ebay for about 80
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's exactly like a spare one that I have in stock. it has the ported end cover, but the 064 does not have a matching pre-filter to accept the port opening. My gut feeling is that it would be worth a try anyway to see if my spare carb pumps fuel. The existing worn out carb is not delivering any fuel to the combustion chamber. The plug is bone dry but has a good spark and the engine has strong compression..

That's exactly like a spare one that I have in stock. it has the ported end cover, but the 064 does not have a matching pre-filter to accept the port opening. My gut feeling is that it would be worth a try anyway to see if my spare carb pumps fuel. The existing worn out carb is not delivering any fuel to the combustion chamber. The plug is bone dry but has a good spark and the engine has strong compression..
You can swap end covers on the carbs if they are from the same series or have the same size cover. I've done it on a few 044's and 026's

Thanks, Ironman. Take a look at this diagram on the same page of the IPL:
1629399569418.png
The two covers, 11 and 35, in fact do line up. But, what we do not know is how cover 35 will impact the performance of the carb that uses cover 11. That port has to be doing something or it would not be there.

I've seen some of those carbs with a vent on the side rather than in the top of the cover. It's built into the seam between the carb and the cover. I think it was used on some Husqvarnas. I've actually drilled a hole in some of those covers, don't remember what saw though...

You can also cut the compensator off.
Fill area with jb weld and drill an 1/8 Hole in it.
Seems like another option would be to cover the compensator port with foam that lets in some air but blocks out debris. I checked the old existing carb again after soaking it for two days in a jar with mixed fuel and a tight lid. In fact, there is a very small hole, about 1/32" dia. in the side raised lip of the end cover that is not shown in the IPL diagram above.

Regardless, I decided to recheck the compression again before breaking my arm with more pulls. Gadzooks! It only tested to 80 psi. Then I removed the muffler and checked the rings. There were completely worn or burned out. This saw needs a whole new top end and that's on the list for my next project. Considering how hard it pulled, I would necver have suspected that.

Therefore, I think this OEM carb is likely still OK. Sorry for my mistake, guys and my thanks to all for your replies. I think I may have to call Dr. Shrink and see if he can schedule me for a physical brain examination. *%$#@!

Latest posts

Back