Stihl 064 ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolle

Reaction score
I've been reading through all the 064 ignition threads on here and that has really been a great help! I have some questions remaning that I haven't gotten a clear understanding on, maybe I've missed it, sorry in that case.

I have a 064 from 1989 (fairly sure, haven't been able to find a serial or something like that). The saw died and there's no spark, it has the 1122 400 1303 CDIC module and the 1122 400 1203 flywheel with a single keypath. Nowadays it seems to be impossible to find any other ignition module than the 0000 400 1300 one. Finding the two keypath flywheel also doesn't seem easy and I think it also wouldn't fit the rope starter that's on.

So the plan is to use the 0000 400 1300 coil and put the existing flywheel in the "alternative" position manually and not use the key.

Is it a bad idea to not use the key? I've seen some claims that the key is really just an aid to place the flywheel correctly.
Plan B would be to get a key broach and create the alternative keypath.

From measuring on pictures it looks like the alternative keypath is 40 degrees from the one used with the CDIC? Does anyone have a more exact number?

Anything to keep in mind when using the saw with an unlimited coil? This saw is used in a "farmer's saw" so maybe having the limited coil was actually a good thing?

Thanks!

There are AM versions of that coil... I've wanted to try them. The dogleg is p# 1122 400 1300.
There's an 046 coil that works with the 1201a flywheel. Also... the coil you need does pop up on occasion here and elsewhere.
The real question--- does your case accept the newer 1300 coil? If not, then you're a bit restricted on what coil can easily mount.

The recoil should work with any Al 064 flywheel that fits the crankshaft. Heck, Chainsaw Jim used a poly 460 flywheel on one of his builds.

IMG_2700.JPG
This case only has 3 holes. I think it's been done, but it'd be tricky to install the universal coil. The 046 or dogleg works.
IMG_2701.JPG
Dogleg ... forget the part #, sorry. It's in HarleyT's post I think. Edit-- 1122 400 1300.

Attachments

• IMG_2699.JPG
    IMG_2699.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2702.JPG
    IMG_2702.JPG
    883.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2703.JPG
    IMG_2703.JPG
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2704.JPG
    IMG_2704.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2705.JPG
    IMG_2705.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
The 3rd pic is your fw I think. 1203/1204 without the proper slot broached.
The next is a 1201a that can use the dogleg or 046 coil.

I think members Brewz and "mastermind" have broached their own slots.

046 coil is 1128-1309. Gotta give credit to wigglesworth for trying it out many years ago and posting about it. You know, back when you could actually do that here.

Thanks! This is the case I have

stihl 064 case.jpg

I'm not 100% sure of which flywheel I have. From the front it does look exactly like the single slot 1203s I've seen pictures of. Need the proper tool to get it off (that is also in the mail). It has probably been on there for the past 28 years so it won't come off easily.

I have been searching for aftermarket versions of the 1303 coil but haven't found anything claiming to be compatible. I have seen several ones claiming to be compatible with 0000 400 1300 and those can look quite different from each other, especially in how they are mounted. I bought one that looked like it would fit using the same holes as the 1303 but I'll have to see when it arrives. It's hard to tell exactly from pictures taken at an angle.

Btw, where is the machine number located? I've been looking but not found anything. If it was on a sticker it is probably long gone.

Great! I still need to adjust the flywheel position to get the correct timing, right?

All 064 flywheels are the same, only the key way location is different.

I use limited flywheels with no key all the time and that also allows you to run any coil that will bolt on.

Found the serial now, it was covered with dirt. It's 128591281, guess it doesn't tell me that much though. But the machine is probably from 1992 or so.

Yes, you'll need to switch the position or else the saw won't run or will bite ya during starts (it may bite you anyway, it is an 064).

Back