Stihl 064 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy an 064. I was wondering about weight, power, strengths, weaknesses etc. Any thoughts?

sedanman,
i have found the 064 to be a real reliable saw. at one time i had five of them in the work force. 5.19 cubes they have no trouble with a 24 inch bar. a friend of mine has one for sale right now. he has 2 but feels he only needs one for competitions. i am sure if you offer him $250.00 for it he would sell it for that. you are about 20 minutes from us and if you are interested e-mail me at [email protected]. protect yourseleves; marty

Hey Howdy Hey, Sedanman,

.064's are very good saws, had 2. Used them for falling and some firewood. Lots and lots of top end speed, very fast, unfortunetly not much for down and dirty grunt. Ran 28" & 32" bars. Ran them to death and still sold them for good $$. :D Lightweight and easy to handle. I've seen lots of them used by fallers.

Wendell

Well you can all guess I stepped up to my first "big block". I haven't had a chance to play other than giving the a saw a once over when I bought it. It ain't gonna win a beauty contest but that's not what I got for. In an interesting twist my 009 was also waiting on the porch (e-bay) when I got home. Saw total now 7. 009,017(for sale),xl-12,2 Jonsey 49sp's,026,064.

Marty, I got to make a truck load of curly fries today. I got four truck loads of oak for free (already fireplace length) , some of it is WAY too big to get on the splitter so I gotta slice it first. The saw is plenty powerful but it's one UGLY ?????! I wonder if I should keep the 026 and trade everything else in on a new 066...........hmmmm.

gotta hate that crosscutting - ruins your chain and is real hard on a saw - i dont do it - i just let it dry in the winter dry until the splitter can pop it..

sedaman,
hold on there gentle giant. if you decide to part with that 064 let me know first. as you can see, they are nicely powered. the paint may be a little worn but the trees do not care. you must be careful as to purchasing the used 066. the first year they discontinued the LED the cranks were to small to handle the power and they sheared the crank off just behind the flywheel. caused major damage. stihl stood behind the mistake but down tuned the saw as to not reach high rpms. protect yourselves; marty

Marty, I took the 064 to Brady's for a check-up. I feel a lot better about the looks of it now that I've seen the piston, shows some age but good overall. We did some maintenance and fixed a stripped cover bolt hole. The saw still had the old style air filter with the metal caps which we replaced with the up-dated plastic one with the built-in gasket, much better seal to airbox (this saw HAS eaten a little dirt). Also replaced the throttle trigger which had a sharp edge. Can you find another one for the same price? I showed it to the silver-back (german, 68yrs old, 6'3", 280 lbs.) and he wants one too.

paul,
i told you they are good running saws with some demand. you are plenty big enough to run it for a few hours at a time too. i am glad you are happy with it. protect yourself; marty

Back