Stihl 066 magnum Ignition coil question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hicks Carles

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post, I am hoping this board can help me. I picked up a flat top 066 magnum for $50 that had been sitting around for years. Quite a few parts had been robbed off it so it has been just a matter of picking up all the little parts to put it back together. I got a new carb, clutch cover, recoil, numerous small bolts, pick up tube, impulse tube, etc. I put it all together tonight, the saw has great compression so i was hoping it would start right up.....but it did not. I checked, I have no spark. I want to order a new ignition coil but after looking at this TSB, I am unsure which one to get.
Here is a picture of my serial number, the coil that is currently in it and the flywheel.
Thank you

CC9D5F70-57C4-47DB-8486-90BCEFF59F3A.png 3F934815-AF21-4B5D-9459-8BADB8C456A8.jpeg D52F2B9E-8B9C-437F-828F-877030E108E6.jpeg 4FDBB694-14D8-4459-87E1-6DC31E926702.jpeg

The 1311 is a very failure-prone module, meant to replace the 1307 which is the CDIC rev-limited coil. If your flywheel is indeed a dual-slot, then you can likely switch it over to the other slot and then run the 0000 400 1300 "universal" module.

If I'm remembering correctly, the 1311 hasn't been available as a new part at a dealer for many years. Stihl discontinued them when the polymer flywheel models came out.

This is exactly the type of information I was hoping to get here. Thank you. I ordered the flywheel puller this morning. Would it be a good idea to just buy a flywheel and coil as a set and install new? If so which combo would work with my saw? That chart still confuses me.

This is exactly the type of information I was hoping to get here. Thank you. I ordered the flywheel puller this morning. Would it be a good idea to just buy a flywheel and coil as a set and install new? If so which combo would work with my saw? That chart still confuses me.

Like the above members mention, Pull the Flywheel, Pull the coil, & share Part numbers.

The Folks here will steer you right, & you may not need a FW.

Thanks.

Like Heath said, I doubt you need a new flywheel. Once we find out exactly which flywheel you have and whether it has the dual slots, then we can set you up with the right coil. Worst case scenario I have a working CDIC module here that you can if your flywheel turns out to be the single slot but it topped out at 12k when it was on my 066. I switched mine over to an 064 flywheel, starter, and ignition.

They changed these coils over in 1994 (see PDFs). If you have a flywheel with "X" keyway you should be able to use the universal coil 000 400 1300. The "P" keyway is for the limited CDIC coils

They also changed the carbs as part of process and changed tune RPMs.

It seems the older carbs had larger main jets and different needles. Anyone know if these are preferable on a later and/or modded saw?

Attachments

• 064 066 coils.pdf
    509.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 064 066 coils 2.jpg
    064 066 coils 2.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 064 066 coils 3.pdf
    677.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 064 066 coils carb 4.pdf
    524.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 064 066 carbs 5 1994.pdf
    634.3 KB · Views: 15
They changed these coils over in 1994 (see PDFs). If you have a flywheel with "X" keyway you should be able to use the universal coil 000 400 1300. The "P" keyway is for the limited CDIC coils

It seems the older carbs had larger main jets and different needles. Anyone know if these are preferable on a later and/or modded saw?

Wow, that is the type of info I was looking for. Thank you. Once I get the flywheel off I will post some picture. Thank you all.

Hi mad,does WJ10 ring a bell for an earlier (better??) Carb.

Does this mean I need to buy a flywheel and a coil? I do have a spare 1122 400 1314 on hand, so I and not sure if i should find a coil to match the flywheel i have or a flywheel to match the 314 coil.

Does this mean I need to buy a flywheel and a coil? I do have a spare 1122 400 1314 on hand, so I and not sure if i should find a coil to match the flywheel i have or a flywheel to match the 314 coil.

Pretty sure that one takes the unlimited coil so the universal will work.It has early and later p#s but only one keyway. I don't see a P or X but you might check under the crud.

Read over the service bulletin I posted.

Wait until someone else confirms before you buy........

Hi,my notes say a 11224001314 coil will be timed with the above f/wheel number.
The coil I tried was off a poly f/wheel saw so should be easy to get although you already have one.
Cheers,Chris.

Hi Chris.

Thanks for adding to the thread.

Did you get your information empirically by mixing and matching flywheels/coils? Then testing what runs good?

I try to keep up with the documents I've got from stihl but if you had some notes or a spreadsheet with more combinations that work it would be like a gold mine to members here.

There are a lot of similar threads to this but I have lost track of them and the information of what switches out.

Anyway your information is well appreciated. Have you done anything with 064 saws also?

Back