Stihl 066 magnum Ignition coil question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try the 11224001314 tomorrow. I’m still confused by all of this. So many combinations. Is the gap between the flywheel and ignition module supposed to be .020”, my service manual just says to use the special ignition setting tool.

That's great info on the coils/flywheels. I have images of all your pictures stored on my PC. Thanks!

The picture of the early 3- coil hole mount 064 w/adapted coil is very interesting to me; I've got one (1201 flywheel) with a dead bosch coil. I've wondered about making an adapter to use the other common 2-bolt pattern coils. If you had a description of the adapter and/or could get some pics that would be great. I've been looking for a "dogleg 046 coil as those will also fit the early 3-bolt pattern 064. Maybe I'll just make an adapter now.

I don't have much info on WJ-10 carb. I found it listed in my technical reference guide as a 064 carb with following info. (It's not in my IPLs for 064 or 066)

WJ10 is a 064 carb PN 1122 120 0602, repair kit 1122 007 1060 (common to all 064/066 WJ carbs), substitute carb is WJ67 1122 120 0621 ( a 066 carb), vendor repair kit 0000 007 1066

The IPLs list various jet sizes for the carbs listed: 0.62, 0.64, 0.74. The smallest one mentions high altitude applications.

Not sure if this is helpful?

Thank you. What is the purpose of the metal strap for the coil second mouting hole to the third unused mounting hole?

That's an early 064 with a case that had a rather unique 3- bolt pattern for the coil. It's had to find a replacement that bolts on. Some later 064 cases had 4-mounting holes and could use the older or newer coils, I think the latest ones were just 2-bolt for the newer coils? See my post above

That's an early 064 with a case that had a rather unique 3- bolt pattern for the coil. It's had to find a replacement that bolts on. Some later 064 cases had 4-mounting holes and could use the older or newer coils, I think the latest ones were just 2-bolt for the newer coils? See my post above

I see now. Thank you for your help.

That is correct.Made strap out of aluminium.
Mad,search "064 coil boss".There are more pics.I was talking to you on that thread also.
WJ 10 is a non EPA Carb and is better than the WJ 69 from what I can gather.
Cheers Chris.

Well I installed it and tried to start it, it has spark because it tried to fire but would not start. I had to leave for work, so I’ll try it again this evening.

That is correct.Made strap out of aluminium.
Mad,search "064 coil boss".There are more pics.I was talking to you on that thread also.
WJ 10 is a non EPA Carb and is better than the WJ 69 from what I can gather.
Cheers Chris.

Hi Chris, thanks for reminding me about the old thread, I thought that coil adapter looked framiliar. I don't think I ever came back to it to see your last post with the extra pictures. Those will get stored for reference on my PC too.

The 064 I have has the odd pattern 3- bolt coil mounting pattern for bosch coil so your adapter should work, and the flywheel is the original 1201 (unlimited). I've got lots of standard mount stihl coils I can try with your style adapter. I've been wanting to get this one going for a while now. It has the HD air filter and the P/C looks good but might freshen it with rings or a meteor, also have a NOS OEM P/C in reserve. I got the saw cheap with a complete seized 026 for $200

For the carbs You might want to take a look at the main jets and see which one(s) have the 0.74 vs the 0.64 orifices.. I'll try to track down more info on the WJ-10. Will also see what my 064 has for carb.

I spent some time this evening cranking on her and and she would not start. She will pop or fire but will not run. I do not know much about small engines but could this be because it is the wrong coil. I also have not perfpormed a compression test. It has compression but maybe Not enough. Any suggestions?

I spent some time this evening cranking on her and and she would not start. She will pop or fire but will not run. I do not know much about small engines but could this be because it is the wrong coil. I also have not perfpormed a compression test. It has compression but maybe Not enough. Any suggestions?

Which coil are you trying? The 1314? You got the flywheel re-installed correctly? Looking at your flywheel I don't think it's timed properly to work with the 1314 coil. The 1314 coil is for the polymer flywheel and is timed slightly different as Stihl realized the polymer flywheel flexes at high speeds.

Hi Hicks,you could try timing by removing the key and moving f/wheel a few mm clockwise (retarding timing)and re tension the nut.
The key only locates the wheel (so I have been told) it is the taper and nut holds it in position.
You may have to to do this a few times to get it right.
Some on this site (and others)are running saws with no key.
Cheers,Chris

Which coil are you trying? The 1314? You got the flywheel re-installed correctly? Looking at your flywheel I don't think it's timed properly to work with the 1314 coil. The 1314 coil is for the polymer flywheel and is timed slightly different as Stihl realized the polymer flywheel flexes at high speeds.

So how does the "universal coil" work with all sorts of saws then? 0000 400 1300 That has both polymer and Al flywheel applications. Now I'm more confused.......

So how does the "universal coil" work with all sorts of saws then? 0000 400 1300 That has both polymer and Al flywheel applications. Now I'm more confused.......

As far as I know, the universal module has never been used on a saw with the polymer flywheel from the factory. They will run though if you put one on, but it won't run as well as the coils made specifically for the polymer flywheels. The universal module is supposed to be a "straight" coil, i.e. no timing circuits or timing curves.

According to this forum, it looks like the universal 1300 is the coil I need. http://************/threads/064-066-ms650-ms660-info-thread.696/

According to this forum, it looks like the universal 1300 is the coil I need. http://************/threads/064-066-ms650-ms660-info-thread.696/

I dunno- it looks like to me your flywheel is timed for the CDIC rev-limited coil. If that's the case, only two coils would work for you (unless you want to buy a different flywheel or modify yours)- the 1311 coil that came on your saw and the 1307 CDIC rev-limited module. I have a working CDIC coil here somewhere that I'll try to find and send your way.

Back