Stihl 066, Recoil starter or flywheel issues.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyojimbo

Reaction score
Greetings folks,

I just traded for a Stihl 066 (I believe), and it was running well for the past two times I started it and was bucking some rounds.

I put it away for a month and tried to start it again, and the flywheel had some awful clanking sounds, and it started slipping.

On opening the recoil starter, I can see that the pawls are working as intended as they extend when pulled. Checked piston by pulling the muffler and it looks clean, still will move if I move the flywheel by hand.

It almost seems like the recoil starter, and the flywheel doesn't line up anymore, and it feel like the pawls are barely catching when pulled, and it makes this slipping clicking sound, without any resistance.

Does it seem like perhaps when the previous owner put the saw back together, it was assembled with the wrong flywheel, or recoil starter assembly?

Any suggestions or help to get the saw back up and running would be much appreciated!

Jimbo

pawls are working and extending as intended, spring clip is replaced and facing the right direction. , flywheel is part number 1122 400 1201a.

After doing some digging, I suspect it has the 064 flywheel, but one of the rounded farmertec recoil starters for the MS660's.

Those crazy combinations.

Anyone have a 1209 or 1214 double keyway flywheel in their back pocket that they are willing to part with?

pawls are working and extending as intended, spring clip is replaced and facing the right direction. , flywheel is part number 1122 400 1201a.

After doing some digging, I suspect it has the 064 flywheel, but one of the rounded farmertec recoil starters for the MS660's.

Those crazy combinations.

Anyone have a 1209 or 1214 double keyway flywheel in their back pocket that they are willing to part with?

Sounds like you got one of those real bargains- cobbled together with whatever Stihl wrecks could be found and completed with inferior incorrect parts- ideal!
Photos of all the offending matter will help people identify what you actually have and what you possibly need to make it workable.

Just pulled the ignition coil to check, its part # 2 204 222 108

Also, just found a slow leak on the fuel tank..was wondering if there is any quick and good fix apart from changing the handle housing with fuel tank?

Will update with pics soon!

Just pulled the ignition coil to check, its part # 2 204 222 108

Also, just found a slow leak on the fuel tank..was wondering if there is any quick and good fix apart from changing the handle housing with fuel tank?

Will update with pics soon!

It depends on where it's leaking from. If it's leaking from a seam, then welding it back up with a soldering iron works
pretty good in some cases. If it's leaking from a crack in the body of the tank, then not so much.

Back