Stihl 075 Complete Rebuild and Performance Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Love the old 1111 series saws. I guess that's why I have 7 of them in various states of assembly and repair, along with boxes of spare parts.

I really don't have much need for one, either, since I don't mill, don't heat with wood, and don't have any large trees on my property that need to be dropped. Having said that, I still can't pass one up when I find it at a reasonable price.

I recently picked one up from a member here, SN 8295359 (EDIT - should be June 1974, give or take a month). It's complete, and as advertised, it has had some case damage. I have a few clean cases in the garage, so I figured I would take the bits off the 075 and install them on a nice clean case. I'll split the clean case to install new crank seals and give it a good inspection, too.

I plan to do some basic performance mods; figured I would advance the ignition timing a bit, maybe mod the muffler (anyone done this to an 075?), check squish and maybe go with a base gasket delete, and maybe do some basic porting (anyone have any tips?). When it's all back together, I'll tune it, test it, and send it down the road before I start on my next one.

These saws seem to be in no-man's land right now. I suspect no one uses them commercially unless it's a backup saw to an MS880 or something like that. Some folks like them for milling, and they're a good saw for that. They're not quite collectible yet, but collectors are starting to catch on, I think. You can still find project saws for reasonable prices, but nice ones bring decent money...EDIT - HOLY SHITE, a reasonably nice 076 Super just brought $1525 on eBay!!!! https://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-076AV-SUPER-CHAINSAW-32-034-INCH-BAR-066-075-076-SUPER-CHAIN-SAW-/203270204360?nma=true&si=jbhcg3CT8KhAIbkZMwkdDh63Er8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
IMG_5145.jpgIMG_5147.jpgIMG_5148.jpgIMG_5149.jpgIMG_5151.jpgs-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600.jpg

I'm in.

Stihl serial numbers don't indicate production date. That said, and along with certain parts on a given saw, they can present clues to a ballpark time frame by IPL and tech note references to production changes in the model. There are quite a few serial number break points published during the 1111 production timeline. We may be able to dig one up that's close to the one you provided.

I'm in.

Stihl serial numbers don't indicate production date. That said, and along with certain parts on a given saw, they can present clues to a ballpark time frame by IPL and tech note references to production changes in the model. There are quite a few serial number break points published during the 1111 production timeline. We may be able to dig one up that's close to the one you provided.

You're correct that the numbers themselves don't indicate a date of production, but if you e mail Stihl a serial number, they'll reply with a production date. I also did some looking on Magnus's site in the serial number list section. Since some of the saws on his serial number list have dates, I found one close to this saw and extrapolated a bit. It was produced in June 1974, give or take a month.

EDIT: one more note -- in march 1977 Stihl numbers reached #9999999 and they started over with #4000001, so you'll have lower numbers for newer saws.

Thanks

Then I guess you answered your own question. I'd be interested in what type of response you might receive from Stihl.
I'm not real confident in the info that I'm getting from Stihl these days. It usually takes a few weeks to get a response, sometimes they don't respond, and some of the info I'e gotten in the past certainly appeared to be incorrect.

Good project, I will be interested in watching the progress, I have an 051 in parts needs a rebuild.
You going to rebuild 89cc or 111cc? All you need to do to upgrade is get a jug, piston, and studs from an 075/076. Drill and tap case one size larger for the larger studs and you're all set.

You going to rebuild 89cc or 111cc? All you need to do to upgrade is get a jug, piston, and studs from an 075/076. Drill and tap case one size larger for the larger studs and you're all set.
I have an 075 that's running and have most of the parts for the 051 good cylinder,
piston, ignition and carb, missing a good muffler

Watching. I have an 075 in a box under the bench I need to finish. Went and spent a bunch of money on it back when I was just getting into saws and didn’t know what I was doing. Became a money pit now I don’t want to spend spend any more money on it lol.

Just needs a new coil and AV mounts maybe watching your build will get me motivated again to finish mine.

Watching. I have an 075 in a box under the bench I need to finish. Went and spent a bunch of money on it back when I was just getting into saws and didn’t know what I was doing. Became a money pit now I don’t want to spend spend any more money on it lol.

Just needs a new coil and AV mounts maybe watching your build will get me motivated again to finish mine.

If you decide to send it on down the road instead of building it send me a message...

i got a nice 076 a few years ago,use it some bucking, milling ,i enjoy working with it, cant slow it down, tq, best,good luck with it!

Yeah, every time I see someone ask what saw they should buy for milling, I always recommend an 075/076. Plenty of guts and not nearly as expensive as an 084 or 090. Of course, with that 076 Supah that just sold on eBay for $1525, I may have to start recommending 084's again...

EDIT: one more note -- in march 1977 Stihl numbers reached #9999999 and they started over with #4000001, so you'll have lower numbers for newer saws.
I've read that in the past and always been skeptical about it. I'm curious about your source and any documentation you may have to authenticate the claim. There had to be a T.I for it and it would certainly have occurred during the 1111 series production history.

Not being contentious here. Just genuinely curious. TIA for any enlightenment on the subject.

I've read that in the past and always been skeptical about it. I'm curious about your source and any documentation you may have to authenticate the claim. There had to be a T.I for it and it would certainly have occurred during the 1111 series production history.

Not being contentious here. Just genuinely curious. TIA for any enlightenment on the subject.

Copied the serial number re-start statement from someone who posted on Magnus's site. I have noticed in the past that there seemed to be an anomaly with serial numbers in the 1970's on 1106 series saws (I keep my own serial number list for "verified" data), so it made perfect sense to me.

From my 1106 series saw serial number list:

8883307: June 1975 (090G)

8883405: May 1975 (090G)

4081709: June 1977 (070)

4469274: January 1977 (090)

You may note that the numbers above don't seem to match perfectly (i.e., later saws with a lower serial number), but what you see is that the 1975 saws have a much higher serial number than the 1977 saws, corroborating the statement about the re-start at 4,000,001.

It`s right what bulletpruf says. That was 1977. All chainsaws and other motor machines got new serial numbers, because the 9er range reached it`s limit. Therefore the 4er range was introduced, this had organization reasons, was easier to do for them. The numbering tools used at that time were not able to make serial numbers with 8 digits.

Forgot to mention in the first post -- just about everything these saws can be found NOS/OEM, aftermarket, and used. If you do a search on eBay for Stihl 075, you'll get over 1,000 hits.

The two bits that I'm having trouble finding are the full wrap specific bits - the PTO side mount and associated AV. If anyone has spares, please let me know - handlebar support is 1111 791 1907 and the AV rubber is 1111 799 0500.

Scott

The numbering tools used at that time were not able to make serial numbers with 8 digits.
I'm squared away on the reverting to the 4xxxxxx numbers now. Thanks.

Not to dwell on serial numbers, but this TI explains the next major step forward and is the more common format we're most familiar with today -- though they have recently introduced yet a newer format as well.

Serial Number TI - 21.98.jpg
And to get back on track with the thread (and the original serial number reference), I dug through some 1111 IPL's and lo and behold found this example of both the 9x and 4x numbering referenced together. Woulda been quite a head scratcher (or written off as a typo) without knowing that little bit of history. Would still like to see a copy of the TI explaining their implementation scheme to keep everything unique among the two 4xxxxxx series. Interesting historical nugget.

StihlSerialConversion1.jpg

I own 051AVe with serial 9870554 which would mean 1976/1977, but I think I found 1978 mark on an air filter alu under cover. Have to check that out.

In 1977 Stihl also changed its logo from log with saw logo to plain Stihl orange logo...then again
I own 08s electronic with serial 4676347 with new orange logo and then found one on chainsawcollectors with serial 4808043 with old logo

Latest posts

Back