Stihl 076 AV Super Limiter Problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbackjack

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am working on a 076 that I think is a bit of a Frankensaw, mash of parts to make a complete saw. I got the saw with a box of parts 051/076. I have the saw working, it idles great and reves up fine but it cuts out at 3/4 throttle like a rev limiter is kicking in, it will not stall but the way it is running it would be useless for milling logs. It is an electronic ignition, could it have a wrong coil or could the coil be pooched? I am fine with buying a new coil but do not want to spend money on an old saw unless I know that is the problem. The saw clearly does not have a lot of hours on it by the condition of the piston and cylinder. Any replies are appreciated, thanks

I am working on a 076 that I think is a bit of a Frankensaw, mash of parts to make a complete saw. I got the saw with a box of parts 051/076. I have the saw working, it idles great and reves up fine but it cuts out at 3/4 throttle like a rev limiter is kicking in, it will not stall but the way it is running it would be useless for milling logs. It is an electronic ignition, could it have a wrong coil or could the coil be pooched? I am fine with buying a new coil but do not want to spend money on an old saw unless I know that is the problem. The saw clearly does not have a lot of hours on it by the condition of the piston and cylinder. Any replies are appreciated, thanks
Sounds like you have a cutoff saw (all in one) coil. They make them start limiting at 9.2k rpm to prevent overspeeding the wheels.
If you give a normal running 076S 3/4 throttle, it will probably hit the limiter when out of the cut.
As you cut, it probably will not hit the limiter. (Unless you're @Snellerized)

Check the carb for a governor, not sure it has one, but the symtoms sound like it's got one.

Thanks for the replies, nice photo alexcagle!. Yes the saw has a governor in the carb but would that cause the rev limiting? it feels like ignition not mixture. I have a another carb (proline) for the saw but I put it on and could not get the saw to idle. I tried the low jet from 1 turn up to 2 turns and it still would not idle so I put the original (Tillitson) governed carb back on. Any way to delete the governor or should I not mess with it?
It sounds like the advice is to try the saw in a big log and see how it behaves.
Clearly an new chainsaw coil should clear up the problem if I choose to spend the money.

Thanks again

Yes rev limiter built in to carburetor. The fix is NOT authorized by Stihl but plenty of the have been modified.
Unscrewed brass jet on side of carburetor. Using a paper punch cut a circle that will fit in the hole. Reinstall brass governor.
DO NOT! Set this carb lean! You will have garbage. These are a tractor,not a hot rod!
Have you tried this in the wood with a sharp chain first? You might find it leans out nicely in the cut.

Back