Stihl 08S serial number help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSGSGS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 08S, serial number 9016808, is there a website where you can enter the serial number to find out the approximate year manufactured and if not, does anyone have a good idea when it was made.

If it says made in “west“ Germany on starter. Then at least 32 years old.

I have a Stihl 08S, serial number 9016808, is there a website where you can enter the serial number to find out the approximate year manufactured and if not, does anyone have a good idea when it was made.
I put that number in the workshopist s/n lookup thing and it came up as 1980 +/- 1year. Made in Germany. Does yours have a chain brake? Electronic ignition? Mine has both and comes up as 1984 which seems about right when you check the ipl against date of introduction of those bits

Old thread I know, but here’s what I found.

https://fireandsaw.com/stihl-chainsaw-production-years-made/
50F17ABC-C058-4C0F-B674-87C4691C36CE.png

Now does anyone know where else a serial number could be found on an 08S?
It has the old log n blade type logo (so pre1977?), no chain brake, just arrived today and I don’t know her much better than that yet.
The main place is worn right off, going to try a good ol clean up and see if anything becomes legible, but not looking hopeful in the normal spot yet.

Easiest way to tell is by the logo on the recoil really old ones with have a riveted on logo new ones will have a printed logo. The made in west Germany thing gives you a huge ball park bc most of these were made before 1991. But Stihl changed their logo a couple times.

Looks like I’ve narrowed mine down to between 1969-1977 it’s the 47mm bore so it’s 69+ and it has the old riveted log logo so pre77.
Waiting on some recent purchases still and I’ll post up about them all.

Back