Stihl 08S starter spring or parts list?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oliver1850

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Broke the spring on Friday. I haven't had any luck finding anything besides the owner's manual on the Stihl site and haven't found a similar looking spring on eBay. It looks similar to the 031 spring but has an open loop at the rope spool where the 031 spring ends in a tight circle.

These springs always break at one end and are easy to reform by getting them hot and bending with needle nose pliers, just remember it is hard spring steel and it has to be RED HOT while you are bending it. The heating process will anneal (soften) the metal and some people will recommend that it be re-hardened by heating it red hot again and quenching it in water, I have never seen it to be necessary.

Thank you both. I thought about heating and bending but assumed it would just break right away. Will give it a try if I can't find the correct spring.

Thanks. The rope rotor/pawl setup on mine looks like your first picture, so it appears that I still haven't ordered the correct spring. I didn't notice the pawl assembly was different on the one that atpchas posted.

Latest posts

Back