Stihl 08s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kane98

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of flywheel puller I would need to pull the flywheel on a 08s and also I think the 08s has a keyed clutch also that has to be pulled off also.. does the same puller work for that too.

8526.jpg

I am a bit late getting back due that I have not been getting notifications anyone has answered or posted in the threads I have been active in. Anyways thanks for putting up the pic of your particular flywheel, bulletpruf is right on the money, your flywheel requires the 3 bolt style puller. A common steering wheel puller should work for getting that flywheel off, Stihl makes a puller for it but the pic I posted last evening I got off Sagen Spezi eBay site, however they are located in Germany I think. I have a goodly amount of all types of pullers all bought here in NA, never needed to buy from overseas yet. A google search will turn up many sources for pullers, hopefully there are some available in the US. One of my Stihl 08`s has your flywheel type and another one has the recessed type that takes the threaded socket type puller.

https://shop.saegenspezi.de/puller-for-flywheel-fits-Stihl-045-056-07-08-S-S10

Thank you for the help. Also there is a spacer on the clutch side… is that attached to the clutch? I’ve tried to slide that off but that is stuck as well. It looks like the clutch is keyed so that will have to be pulled off as well. So I guess that bearing spacer will come with it. Hopefully the puller will work on the clutch also. The clutch also looks like it had like brake shoes on it like on a car. But 2 are missing and only 1 shoe has anything left on it. I don’t know why because this saw had no brake band on it.

The 08S I just worked on had a different flywheel. I found this puller in a collection of tools I picked up when local Stihl dealer/mechanic passed away.

20230106_162034.jpg

With the clutch nut off and the drum out of the way, I used a conventional jaw type gear puller on a plate that looks a lot like the puller pictured above. If I recall, the clutch had two M5 tapped holes. You can see the puller and a variety of plate on the board behind the saw here.

20230106_153923.jpg

Mark

Thank you for the help. Also there is a spacer on the clutch side… is that attached to the clutch? I’ve tried to slide that off but that is stuck as well. It looks like the clutch is keyed so that will have to be pulled off as well. So I guess that bearing spacer will come with it. Hopefully the puller will work on the clutch also. The clutch also looks like it had like brake shoes on it like on a car. But 2 are missing and only 1 shoe has anything left on it. I don’t know why because this saw had no brake band on it.
These saws are very old and I often find the friction material has fallen off the clutch shoes on vintage saws, the glue holding them on just deteriorates. very few saws from this vintage had brake bands or brakes of any kind. The spacer should slide off along with the clutch.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. This is the first one of the really old saws I’ve ever done. I still don’t know anything about the points and condenser and whatever else is under the flywheel when I get that off. I’ll have to put it back together somehow.

Yep it looks like your has a brake.. that would be great.. I wish I new how to change this one over to electronic ignition..I would do that in a minute. I don’t care much for the points. I guess because I don’t know anything about how to set them or anything about what’s under the flywheel..I was going to split the cases and powdercoat everything and redo this saw from ground up but I can’t if I don’t know how to get the flywheel back together..

Back