Stihl 10 Cube 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. The plate seem excessively sized just to hold the plug in but my OCDs can appreciate the symmetry of the approach! And nothing else really makes sense as to why they'd add it other than one thought. It's a little reminiscent of the early Contra S cylinder covers that had the asbestos pad on the front, presumably for heat control. Maybe (not likely) the cylinder fins get a little closer to the shroud than a standard 66mm and the designers wanted a little heat deflection help to try and prevent discoloring on the exterior of the shroud?
Excellent thought, very possible.

The informational threads are what this site was built on and what it was when I was asked to join some 20 years ago.

Now as for your 090 you say you do not intend on firing it up? Come on blow the dust off the girl she needs a little heat in the chamber.:)

Bill
If you can point me in the direction of where to find another topend in case it were to hang a ring or something else weird happened, I’d be glad to make it a runner.

For me it seems that a lot of steps were taken for a non-OEM “hot saw” approach. Why even plug the decomp hole in the top cover at all is a question I’ve always had. I know my saw came from overseas, so it is interesting that the top cover was plugged identical to Madsens, this would tell me that either the kit came with a top cover already plugged in this fashion, or the saws themselves were built at some location at the same time. Here are the front cover rivets for the decomp plug. The first picture is my saw, the second is Madsens.

455B7F1B-15A1-4A88-967B-4FB5C8ACBC41.jpeg71153CDD-6E6A-4D5F-B034-172F71BA9478.jpeg

Some info from Wayne and JJ on CCS

Wayne =
Yep, there are some 10 cube 90's around. I have heard a variety of stories explaining their existence.
I have one that I bought in a box. It had came from Australia and the owner said that about 10-12 were distributed in the US and about the same number in Australia. They were all sucked up by the racers and so the results of the "test" were not sufficient to support full production.
In other accounts I have heard that STIHL did not have anything to do with them and that they are a mule created by the racing boys.
They have a removable head and the transfer ports align with the channels that are in the bottom end of all 090's. That alignment tells me that they are real and some part of the STIHL testing and development. I would guess that the reason it did not end up as a standard item is that with a piston of that diameter it is real easy to stick an engine from over speed. And, as everyone knows, most end users like to lean out their saws and get every thing out of them that they can.
I'll get a picture of the one that I have and post it. It looks just like a normal 090 except the compression release is in a different location.

JJ = Story I got from two men that you're familiar with, Ron Marriott and Roger Wright, was that the ten-cube saws were a limited production by Stihl as a result of input from fallers and loggers working with Stihl engineers in the field circa 1970-1973. They wanted a Stihl that could compete with the hopped-up Macs. Ron went to Stihl Germany in 1973 and again in 1974 and worked directly with the engineers helping in the design of both the ten-cube saws and a stronger crankcase for 137cc saws. Ron brought one of the ten-cubes back with him and four of the redesigned 137cc saws with the bigger crankcase that had six cylinder base screws. The ten-cube saw is in Roger's personal collection now and the four prototype 137cc saws went into use for logging and timber falling. Two were smashed flat by big trees going over backwards and Roger still has one of the prototypes. The other survivor went to a private collection in Eureka, Ca. Knowing both these men, I would say the information is good and correct.

Some info from Wayne and JJ on CCS

Wayne =
Yep, there are some 10 cube 90's around. I have heard a variety of stories explaining their existence.
I have one that I bought in a box. It had came from Australia and the owner said that about 10-12 were distributed in the US and about the same number in Australia. They were all sucked up by the racers and so the results of the "test" were not sufficient to support full production.
In other accounts I have heard that STIHL did not have anything to do with them and that they are a mule created by the racing boys.
They have a removable head and the transfer ports align with the channels that are in the bottom end of all 090's. That alignment tells me that they are real and some part of the STIHL testing and development. I would guess that the reason it did not end up as a standard item is that with a piston of that diameter it is real easy to stick an engine from over speed. And, as everyone knows, most end users like to lean out their saws and get every thing out of them that they can.
I'll get a picture of the one that I have and post it. It looks just like a normal 090 except the compression release is in a different location.

JJ = Story I got from two men that you're familiar with, Ron Marriott and Roger Wright, was that the ten-cube saws were a limited production by Stihl as a result of input from fallers and loggers working with Stihl engineers in the field circa 1970-1973. They wanted a Stihl that could compete with the hopped-up Macs. Ron went to Stihl Germany in 1973 and again in 1974 and worked directly with the engineers helping in the design of both the ten-cube saws and a stronger crankcase for 137cc saws. Ron brought one of the ten-cubes back with him and four of the redesigned 137cc saws with the bigger crankcase that had six cylinder base screws. The ten-cube saw is in Roger's personal collection now and the four prototype 137cc saws went into use for logging and timber falling. Two were smashed flat by big trees going over backwards and Roger still has one of the prototypes. The other survivor went to a private collection in Eureka, Ca. Knowing both these men, I would say the information is good and correct.
The two men you reference are two of the most respectful and knowledgeable folks out there. I would believe anything they say. My personal belief based of ZERO evidence just my belief is that there were some 10 cubes created out there by racers and builders. I have seen a good amount of old race saws that had some shall we say "interesting" work done on them, not bad just interesting. The skill level and innovativeness is amazing. I bought a pile of 090 race parts from a east coast racer many years ago and got some creative stuff with it.

If you can point me in the direction of where to find another topend in case it were to hang a ring or something else weird happened, I’d be glad to make it a runner.
I can appreciate and understand that. I have some ideas that I will share in a PM. If I post here it will likely make the thread go sideways

Really appreciate your answers and have follow up question.
Were the piston/cylinder used in any other applications? If one were to find the p/c could they convert a regular 090 had they they skills and knowledge?

Really appreciate your answers and have follow up question.
Were the piston/cylinder used in any other applications? If one were to find the p/c could they convert a regular 090 had they they skills and knowledge?
I’m not aware of any other application the piston/cylinder was used for. Yes, to my knowledge, there were “top end kits” made as well to retrofit onto production 090s. Would take some machining or grinding work.

Back