Stihl (1993) 039 hard to start-floods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladnar

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to the forum, although I've been looking at it for a long time, I just joined.
I have Stihl 039 (1993) very hard to start, runs fine after starting and will start again, pull it 6 or 7 times on full choke and it locks up, with fuel in the cylinder, I guess, spark plug comes wet, pull it over with no plug, to clean out cylinder, dry the plug out, do the same with half choke, same result, with no choke, just won't start. Maybe i'm just getting old. Any ideas why it would flood? Lots of compression it's a beast to pull on, and sometimes it kicks back and about rips my arm off.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Yep. Carb rebuild with a close look at the needle seat area. Upgrade the fuel filter and check the fuel and impulse lines for cracks. In my experience, saws that are hard to start typically require some fuel system maintenance.

What would you all think about just replacing carb. with a "new" chinese one from ebay about $20. might be cheaper and easier than rebuilding. Just a thought.
Let me know what you think. I have used china carbs on Briggs and Honda engines and weedeaters, always worked good and CHEAP.
Thank you for your replies.

What would you all think about just replacing carb. with a "new" chinese one from ebay about $20. might be cheaper and easier than rebuilding. Just a thought.
Let me know what you think. I have used china carbs on Briggs and Honda engines and weedeaters, always worked good and CHEAP.
Thank you for your replies.
China carbs are very hit and miss, I have had terrible luck. My advice is just install an OEM carb kit.

I personally try to stay OEM as much as possible. A carb rebuild kit should be equivalent to or less than the price of buying an aftermarket carb.

Back