STIHL 2013 What will the new year bring?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what about a fuel injected saw

Howdy,

Did someone say Fuel Injection?

I agree with it being the next big change.

Regards
Gregg

Stihl already has it on a cut off saw. I feel that it won't be long before we see a chainsaw with it. It could be why they haven't done much with the M-Tronic. Gonna skip right over that and into FI.

they need to quit making new models ,im running out of space in the garage ...........

Stihl already has it on a cut off saw. I feel that it won't be long before we see a chainsaw with it. It could be why they haven't done much with the M-Tronic. Gonna skip right over that and into FI.

More weight and higher cost for FI? Will that require a pto driven pump?

I don't know, I hear people moan about that but I don't see it as an issue at all. I ran a 441-CM before I got my 461, and everyone raves about how smooth the 441 is. Well, I sure don't feel like the 461 is rattling my marbles any worse than the 441 did. The 461 is rougher at idle for sure, but at cutting speed it's fine. I ran it all day Saturday.

I ran a 441 a couple of times, WOW, I like that power! But the 461 is on my "next" list, 6 months away, I can't wait!!!

Fuel Injection? hmmm should be interesting.

For stock saws fuel injection should be sweet.

For ported/built saws? I dont know fhow much they will compensate. Might need a fuel controler? you never know the fuel injection might limit what can be done with those saws.

I am very curious to see a 661. my dealer told me he was getting one to test but i havent seen it yet......

More weight and higher cost for FI? Will that require a pto driven pump?

Yeah, that and a computer, and a battery, k&n filter cold air intake and all. Also, a handle mount power programmer would be helpful to select economy or power settings.

Seriously though, how does this work? Are there any FI saws out now?

I'd be interested in seeing a 241cm at a reasonable price. That is an under appreciated spot in the pro saw market. Ditto for the 543xp. Might actually get me to buy a new saw.

I can't really work up much enthusiasm for those 42/43cc saws, as they simply are too close to the 550xp and 346xp in weight - and the power loss is much more substaintial than the weight loss. :msp_sneaky:

If you look at the Stihl lineup isolated, the MS241 makes more sense though!

I can't really work up much enthusiasm for those 42/43cc saws, as they simply are too close to the 550xp and 346xp in weight - and the power loss is much more substaintial than the weight loss. :msp_sneaky:

I agree. the 550 and 346 are so light i cant really see the need for a lighter limbing saw

The 250 (45 cc) and 261 are great limbing saw's plus you can us the 261 for bucking with NO problems

261 will also handle a 20" 3/8 b/c combo :msp_smile:

I ran a 441 a couple of times, WOW, I like that power! But the 461 is on my "next" list, 6 months away, I can't wait!!!

I've been running a 461R alot lately it will be my next new saw purchase; couple weeks ago I priced them out with the help of a couple members here (in PNW) just have to fix a couple more saw's to cover the cost of it. We been using another brand of saw also and I like the 461R just a little better :msp_smile:

You talking about the little stihl 150T. Known about that one for awhile. Seems like a 192 in a smaller version. Wont know for sure till see IPL.

[video=youtube_share;vgPLzCf3yI8]http://youtu.be/vgPLzCf3yI8[/video]

Is it just me, or does that thing remind you of a mini Mac?

I agree. the 550 and 346 are so light i cant really see the need for a lighter limbing saw

Well, lighter is lighter, so that is subjective, some guys here are probably perfectly capable of one handing a 90cc....and a smaller saw with less bar and chain but similar fast RPMs will use less fuel and bar oil, very broadly speaking. Plus, cost less in upfront purchase price. In small wood, a lot of times there is no appreciable difference in cut speed in the wood between saws of similar displacement with a 10cc or so range one way or the other. The expression here I have read a lot for this is "wall, just stick a longer bar on that and put it into bigger wood, see what is faster then.." Just depends on what you are cutting.

I always use the smallest saw that gets the job done without it bogging down. I do almost all my limbing and small round bucking, say up to 10 inches diameter or so, with either a 36cc or 38 cc saw. Running a hotrod 50ish saw would be overkill. I only grab a 50 or 60 for medium tree felling and bucking the trunk up. I also take a lot of branch wood, something a lot of guys don't do, they just discard it and just take the main trunk big blocks. 70+ and above is reserved or only really large trees, three foot and up.

I've read a lot here about the 50-70 spread for a "plan", after now running and using a variety of saws I am starting to appreciate a 40-60 instead. Larger than that, judgement call on the wood and whatever, too many variables guy to guy and situation to situation, but either place you start, I like 20 cc jumps, not 10 cc.

with that said, I ain't gonna turn down a deal on a 346 if I got cash in pocket sometime and all the bills paid...

If you look at the Stihl lineup isolated, the MS241 makes more sense though!

I don´t fully agree. I´ve been using the 241 here in Germany now for a couple of months as a backup saw for my 346 XPG and have to say its not your typical 42/43cc saw. When it comes to torque its damn close to the 261 - without its additional weight - and I love the standard hd air filter, the fact that it has two piston rings and it goes a loooooong way with a single tank of fuel. Oh yeah - and its probably the most balanced chainsaw Stihl has made so far.:rock:

Brian

I've been running a 461R alot lately it will be my next new saw purchase; couple weeks ago I priced them out with the help of a couple members here (in PNW) just have to fix a couple more saw's to cover the cost of it. We been using another brand of saw also and I like the 461R just a little better :msp_smile:

I called a really good STIHL store here for a price; MS 461 half wrap single dog with 28" light bar and chain. $1006. What price are you looking at?

I called a really good STIHL store here for a price; MS 461 half wrap single dog with 28" light bar and chain. $1006. What price are you looking at?

I've got several prices now from different shops and today coming back from MV and doing some cutting I stopped at another shop and the price on the 461R there was $1,009 with 25" ES bar

Latest posts

Back